I was going.....

rjeffw

Mar 27, 2017
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With my men's church group to the Outer Banks to detect while they fished, until I was told by a friend that NPS land is off limits. Well that covers pretty much all of where we are going, Hatteras Island and Ocracoke Island. I get why it is off limits, but that burst my little bubble.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand the disappointment.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much everything south of the 16 mile post in Nags Head is Wildlife Refuge and is No MDing. I checked on line and it is written up that the northern part of Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk, Duck, and north toward the VA line is open but the refuge/State park is closed and that covers all of the southern beaches, Avon, Waves, Salvo, Buxton, Hatteras and Ocracoke and Portsmouth Island if you get the permission to be over there. Last I heard it was open for visitation with permission but that was a decade ago. If you're going to be south, I can't tell you to take a chance but it may be killer hunting since they are likely not hit much, just wouldn't want to find out what the fines/penalties might be. Good Luck with whatever you decide!

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Just saw that episode of Expedition Unknown where the cop got special permission to hunt on Ocracoke Island. And then he only had a limited time. Yep pretty much off limits. Disappointing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread