I was hoping it was a meteorite.

J

Jed

I always thought that there might be a meteorite at this location. I found this by looking at areal photos and had to find out what it was, it was at the top of a very steep hill and I never had a chance to check it out until now.

The 2nd pic is whats in the circle. It's a swamp with a little building in the middle. I didn't get to see the other side to see if there was a door or a sign. Does anyone know what this is? ???

B

Big_Johnson

maybe were they have the Meteor stashed?

lol

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
could of been used to store explosives. a guy i used to work with described something similiar to this he was in demolishen. just a guess

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
The tel-tale signs would be if there is a creater like formation, ie. a lip around the swamp. Just because its swamp doesn't mean its not an impact creater. Looks promissing to me!

Good Luck
Robert

D

Diane L.

I have a relative that has the same thing in his back field,you can drive down in there and it has a rim around it, a couple of miles from the Silver Mound area in Wisconsin.It sprouted a tiny stream near the bottom, but the stream never was there when they bought the place and they have records that the hole is not man made. It is covered by trees so I don't know if you can see it in the air.I asked the state geologist at a rock show and he told me this area they think was hit by a meteorite. So in jackson county there couldhave been an impact area.

D

Diane L.

Maybe you can do some spy work and do a history search for that spot to find out if there is some history around that area,ask the local county office and see if it was a gravel pit or something.That is strange,a building in the middle of a hole? ???What an adventure!But be careful ask permission,If you want to go down in there you could get in trouble with property laws.Especially if it government property.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
More likely a sink hole. If it is in a swampy area, probably a good bet that it is one. If your in the midwest, there are a lot of underground caverns that you would never know are there until a hole erodes enough to allow the surface water to start draining into it.

D

Diane L.

Yep! Your probalby right,The area I am talking of does not have a building in the middle,But it does have a low area going into the hole as if something board into it.May have been something the indians were digging up or the people that lived in that area a long time ago.becuse in the silver mound area of wisconsin on the hill you will find holes just like that though they say they used dinamite to get the silver on the hill, but the indains took all the silver already.The settlers may have been looking all over in that area and dug in other places also.But I suspect you are probably right because why would they dig many miles away from there?The mound is probably 10 to 15 miles away.Some day I will take my metal detector and search that hole,My husbands brother Jeff said I could,I just have not had the time and they live 30+miles away from us.It would be neat if an underground cave was around there somewhere leading to this hole.I mean where the water is comming from.

D

Diane L.

Hi again,Just wondering where was that picture taken? The picture with the building in the middle? Is it in Wisconsin?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread