Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Years ago, we were heading home from visiting some friends. It was very dark, no moon as we traveled down this old highway. There wasn't very many houses along this long stretch out in the country. We just passed a small rock house when I barely spotted several black cows out on the edge of the road. I knew that a fence was down somewhere and stopped to back up to the house. I got out while the wife and kids waited for me as I walked up to the house. A yard dog was barking at me as I stepped onto the porch to knock on the door. The door had a fairly large glass window in it with a thin white curtain across it. I knocked on the door and could barely see an elderly woman as she made her way to the door. She immediately asked "Who is it?" and so I began to explain that there were cows out just passed the house. It was then that I realized that I was looking down the barrel of a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag that was pointed right at my chest thru the glass. I had handled plenty of them over the years and this one was less than two feet from me as she held it up with both of her hands. The gun was lowered finally as she asked if I could please get them back inside the fence. I told her that I would try and stepped off the porch with the dog still barking at me.

I got out my old flashlight (very dim compared to today's lights) and began searching for the opening. I finally found it and with the help of my oldest, we managed to get the cows back inside. I used some old rope that I had to secure the fence and then I went back and told the elderly lady. This time, she still had the 44 but it was not pointed at me. She thanked me but then asked if I could come back the next day to make sure the fence was solid again. I smiled and told her that I would. The next day, my son and my daughter helped me to get it taken care of. The elderly lady with the big 44 mag, she was 91 then and by herself. She was so frail that it took both hands to hold it up and would have knocked her on her butt if she ever fired it. It was quite un-nerving to see the 44 mag pointed at me that close but she was being smart. She had called her son but it would be a day before he could make back to her house to really check the fence out. Life in the country. Cattle or horses on the roads at night could be fatal to all involved if hit and I had previously seen a Deputy killed by a big steer in the road. As they hauled his body on a stretcher to the ambulance, his body was so busted up that it jiggled like jello with every step.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one heck of a story Dirtlooter. Glad she didn't use it ! (for both of your sake's)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread