Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is this Youtube video about this guy making a glitter bomb for package thieves. He has it set up with this super fine glitter, a bad fart gas, gps and cameras to record what happens. It is very cool and probably expensive and seems to work but.... I think that a much bigger dose of say the same dye that they use in banks for stolen cash would be better and more obvious. Think about it, they open the package in their vehicle and boom, all over everything big time! in the house, same thing! it needs to be a color that all would know was from stealing packages from people's homes or businesses. Something that they wouldn't be able to clean up very easily, from themselves or their vehicles. I have had packages stolen as many have and it sucks. if you haven't seen the video, you should. Merry Christmas all.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw that one also. He had 4 cell phones with gps to video the culprit and locate the unit. Surprised none of the crooks examined further and swipe his unit. Was funny.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is this Youtube video about this guy making a glitter bomb for package thieves. He has it set up with this super fine glitter, a bad fart gas, gps and cameras to record what happens. It is very cool and probably expensive and seems to work but.... I think that a much bigger dose of say the same dye that they use in banks for stolen cash would be better and more obvious. Think about it, they open the package in their vehicle and boom, all over everything big time! in the house, same thing! it needs to be a color that all would know was from stealing packages from people's homes or businesses. Something that they wouldn't be able to clean up very easily, from themselves or their vehicles. I have had packages stolen as many have and it sucks. if you haven't seen the video, you should. Merry Christmas all.

They say great minds think alike Dirtlooter. I have always said the same thing. Maybe a dye that would be permanent and would mark these Thugs for being just what they are. How about a lovely shade of Pepto Bismol pink, or a real bright Purple.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I could see it now.After the glitter bomb goes off,in this day and age,guess who gets arrested for setting boobytraps.It won't be the porch pirate.After the cops are done,here comes DHS to see whether or not they could blossom it into a case of domestic terrorism:laughing9:

Digger_O'Dell

May 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could see it now.After the glitter bomb goes off,in this day and age,guess who gets arrested for setting boobytraps.It won't be the porch pirate.After the cops are done,here comes DHS to see whether or not they could blossom it into a case of domestic terrorism:laughing9:
I saw the video and it was pretty awesome. But in this day and age tour right. It's the criminals who are protected, not us. I can see this guy getting charged and sued because some idiot lowlife gets glitter in their eyes.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They say great minds think alike Dirtlooter. I have always said the same thing. Maybe a dye that would be permanent and would mark these Thugs for being just what they are. How about a lovely shade of Pepto Bismol pink, or a real bright Purple.

PINK or PURPLE??
In today's day and age, Pink and Purple are the "Go to hair colors "
Nobody will notice them.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know what glitter is, right? Craft Herpes! It never goes away!!! 😱

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw this video. It's pretty amazing. Dye would be a great addition to it. If you could buy actual skunk spray that would be perfect. I don't think the peoples faces should have been blurred out either.

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Saw this video. It's pretty amazing. Dye would be a great addition to it. If you could buy actual skunk spray that would be perfect. I don't think the peoples faces should have been blurred out either.

Any deist sporting goods store will have skunk sent. I used it when hunting.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a huge kick out of the poster and his obsession. Very OCD and I loved it. Definitely needed the purple dye pack though.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How about a larger box with a cut out bottom. Inside a well trained Rottweiller or Doberman. When the Thugs attempt to snatch the box lifting it up exposing the contents.......and Dinner is Served!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Follow up news article today . The video was a hoax, the thefts and package openings were staged.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I watched the video with my daughter and loved it! I don't know if it was staged or not but if real, the thieves deserved everything they got from the booby trap box and should have gotten more. I hate thieves as they are the scourge of the Earth who not only steal from anyone and everyone but also are the reason that all of us have to pay higher prices for items due to their thievery in stores.

When I worked and lived in West Virginia, we bought our very first house and property in 1988 in a small community outside the City of Elkins but in the country with mostly great folks and lots of wildlife. We moved a lot of items into the house the first day after all the signing but stayed in our rental that night. When we got to our' new home the next day, I found that someone had broke into the basement during the night and stole all of our' gardening tools due to a messed up lock. Well, due to work...lack of funds and other things, I tried to fix the lock over a period of several years but it just would not stay locked correctly. The same thief took advantage of this almost every week and sometimes twice in a week but we had stopped putting anything in the basement from day two of owning the home. On two occasions, the person got ballsy enough to climb the steps from the basement and try to get in the main part of the house. Although I had shot towards but not at this person running away from our' home on several occasions, both of these times, I tried my best to hit him using my' Remington 1100 12 Gauge Shotgun loaded with Turkey Magnum shells. Fast forward to 1991 when my buddy Steve, a fellow Bow Hunter and his family moved next door and he began shooting rounds with me in my' back yard. Now, I never had the time nor the money to become a Competition Bow Shooter but believe I was good enough to be one even with my' Oneida Eagle H-500 Bow that I got cheap at a Divorce Auction held at the Sheriff's Office. I had 15, 25, 35, 50 and 75 yard pins on my' Browning Crosshair Bow Sight, could Robin Hood almost every arrow from 15 yards out to 35 yards, shoot 2 inch or less groups at 50 yards and under 5 inch groups at 75 yards even though I did not practice shooting the latter two all that much. Steve was no slouch either when it came to shooting his' Golden Eagle Bow but he would never attempt a shot past 35 yards. I was so good at maintaining my' bow as well as repairing, rebuilding and setting up Oneida Eagle Bows that the Oneida Eagle Bow Company made me an Official Repairman for their' bows. Not long after Steve and myself started practicing shooting rounds together, an early 30's slightly chubby guy who lived up road about a 1/2 mile started snooping around by slowly walking by almost every day that we were practicing and watching us intensely. I checked with a few close neighbors about him and they assured me that if he was not the neighborhood thief, that he would know who it was. One day, I saw him coming down the road, headed towards town, so I made it a point to check my mail just as he was passing and I struck up a conversation. During the conversation, he asked what we (Steve and myself) were doing in my' back yard 3 to 5 days a week and I told him that we were practicing with our bows to get ready for Bow Season. He asked if he could come by some time and watch and I told him sure, not just to be a polite and friendly neighbor but also because I wanted him to see how good we were with our bows. After several weeks where he had stopped by to watch us shoot at least 5 times, I nonchalantly asked him if he knew who the neighborhood thief was and told him all that had occurred since we had lived in our' home. He said he did not know who the thief was but I suspected he did or was actually the thief and point blankly told him, well if you do know who the thief is, then you need to warn him that one night when he decides to break into our' basement again, I will be sitting in our' big White Walnut Tree some 30 yards from the basement door with my' bow and that about 30 minutes later, he would be in the Emergency Room at the Hospital trying to explain to the Doctor and a Sheriff's Deputy how he got that hunting arrow stuck up his' a$&. Well, that did it and we never had another break-in for the remaining 3 years that we lived in the home.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread