I went NUTS today for BIG SILVER

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Mark and I were back at it today busting our collective arse to remove some pretty hefty timber to make way for some coil action at the lost camp. After an hour or so we were ready to hit the spot....little did I know that today the Etrac was going to silence my F75 :angry4: Yep, whatever frequency(s) it selected completely knocked out my F75, I could barely hear a surface target (we were hunting right next to each other as the area we cleared was about 20'x30'). I watched Mark pull out silver after silver that I'd previously walked over. I wasn't too sure how to remedy this, so we decided to do a few tests and I suggested that he hit his auto-channel selection (noise cancel I think it's called on the ET) while he stood next to me and I hit the pinpoint trigger so the F75 would be sending out it's maximum signal and crossed my fingers that the ET would no longer jam my F75. It did seem to work, but the ET had already cleaned out the new area, although I did manage to squeak out a 1944S silver war nickel.

After working the newly cleared area we split up and I was working an area loaded with poison oak and thorny vines (what more could you ask for :violent1: ) and I was digging lots of these darn wing nuts, which are apparently made of brass. If they're flat they sound like a wheatback, tilted they sound more like a bouncy pull-tab. Next to a tree that I'd previously detected I decided to dig these darn wing nuts (I have no idea why, but in this particular area there's a bunch of them :icon_scratch: ). I ended up digging three of them, they were in a triangular formation, and sounded like iffy wheaties before dug. After digging them, I was thinking great more damn wing nuts, but decided to run my coil over the area I just dug them from again and BAM a nice solid mid 90's TID was showing on the VDI. It looked good, but it didn't sound very good for some odd reason. We've dug a few silver halves from this area before, so I was extra careful to ensure the hole was large enough to avoid signing any potential big silver with my Lesche. Luckily a big silver did surface. She was about 7" deep, and the dirt was caked on so I couldn't tell exactly what I had aside from it looked to be a silver half. Here's what she looked like initially:

03-30-10-SilverMystery.jpg

The big silver turned out to be a 1944D Walker half dollar, she was surrounded and completely masked by these NUTS:

03-30-10-WalkerNuts.jpg

A little while after finding the silver half, I was in the thick and got a 1941 merc.

Here's all the silver together (makes for # 34 - # 36 towards my goal of 40 silvers by 4/19 :smoke: ):

03-30-10-Silver_Trio.jpg

Also found a silver plated fork, and a copious amount of wheatbacks.

What started off as a frustrating day (gotta watch those signal jamming ET's :nono: ) turned out to be a good day after all :sunny:

Thanks for looking and HH,
Brian

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread