Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
used to have carnivals up until 5 or 6 years ago. I spent about 1.5 hours searching maybe a 30x30 foot section and pulled out all modern change:
17 quarters
1 dime
1 nickel
12 pennies
& a religious pendant that rangup as a quarter

Pretty much the whole thing was sounding off mostly for pennies & dimes, so I tried to skip them for now, I will go back and start another section (im gridding it up in my head). I want to get all of the quarters first, then I will go through and get the dimes, then the pennies. Seriously I couldn't take a baby step without getting a penny or a dime signal!!! I wish I had the time just to get all the targets in 1 swoop, but that would take forever.

5 people came up to me and said they were watchen me pull out coins left and right and they are thinking of getting a metal detector to get some coins for them self. So thats why I want to get the quarters first. :icon_pirat:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Carnie sites rule. One year at Milk Days I got 63 quarters in one spot, a small depression with thick grass, they were not even buried. Another year me and the kid got almost 200 dimes at a dime toss, in half an hour in white gravel. Could barely see 'em, they were mixed up and on edge mostly.

Given the mix you're talking about it might have been where the kamikaze or zipper was placed, favorite vomit rides of carnie chasers like myself. They usually have a butterfly or figure eight drop profile approximately 60', 8' to 10' in the middle and 25' at the extremes. Once you locate the center of the drop area you'll know eactly where the rest of the hotspots are.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Don't you love sites like that? There's a park I hunt once in a while that I used to hunt a lot. I think it has been or is used for carnivals. The reason I say this is because I get a high quarter/penny-dime ratio. And, there are tons of quarters. I detected there once for about 90 minutes and pulled about 40 quarters, 20 dimes, and maybe 10-15 pennies, without cherry-picking. Now that I've hit the place hard, it's hard to get anything but zinc cents (which I never dig in parks) and the occasional dime or two. No silver, though...

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
best carnie clean i had was 18-19 bucks in quarters
the guy who ran it even told me where the vomit thrower was :thumbsup:
where the grass was pounded flat nothing
the grass where the machine sat was 3 inchs
like the fiend said in a 30x30 area
the further from the center of the 30x30 area less coinage
hit the beer garden and found an empty money clip DAMN :tard:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Milk Days next weekend, yooo hooo! Followed shortly by Glendale Heights Fest on Fullerton, Itasca, and West Chicago. Move aside carnies.

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back form hunting the same spot after work this morning (6/2/08) and I found:

29 quarters
2 dimes
1 penny

So my total take so far from that park is:
46 quarters
3 dimes
1 penny

for a grand total of $11.81 for a few hours of work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread