I Will Be CRH For The First Time Tomorrow...Updated

stumpy041486

Jan 27, 2009
Hey

I just found this site today.  This really intrests me.  I will be trying to find some halves tomorrow.  I will be limited to buying about $200 at time right now.  If the bank has more than $200, should I just take what they give me, or should I ask if they have any that look old, hand rolled, machine rolled, etc?  Do I have a good chance of finding something out of $200?  What all dates should I be looking for?  How do I tell if something is a proof or not?  Sorry about all the questions, but I am brand new to all of this.  Would my best bet be to stick with halves for now or mix it up with something else?

Thanks

Upvote 0

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I Will Be CRH For The First Time Tomorrow

The best way to learn more is to hang out in the CRH thread and read posts everyday. That is the best way. As for tomorrow, good luck and post what you find!

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good luck on your first CRH experience! Don't be afraid to ask questions if you have any! Just remember to proofread and spell check your posts before hitting the post button. :icon_jokercolor: :icon_king: :coffee2:

-Codes

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006

Buy as much as you can,search and then dump. If they have more than $200 in halves go back and buy the rest.

Good luck

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

coinmojo said:
and read Through the post pinned to the top

Please read the Sticky POST!!!!!!
Should answer most questions!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

You can also ask for the rolls that "the tellers haven't searched yet". Good luck in the hunt! FFD

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania

take the $200 worth....search for silver....dump the clads ...go back and get $200 more....repeat until said bank hollers uncle....proofs....look for mirror finish and the "s" mint mark...oh and throw those bicentenials back...you'll be sick of them soon enough
also read as many past CRH posts as you can....there's a wealth of knowledge to be had there and the answers to many of your questions....good luck and HH

terryin pa

Nov 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Myself, I'd just ask for any halves they may have. I would no go asking for anything old or whatever or your tellers will be CRH'ing. Also whenever possible I try to have enough cash on hand to be able to take all they may have. Last week i got 24 rolls ....6 rolls had different paper wrapping which produced 46 silver. I'd hate to think if I had only gotten 20 rolls I may have missed out on the take. Also read the past posts , you getting hundreds of hours of experence from other CRH'ers in the matter of minutes. Its been very informative and helpful to me in my first 3 months.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500

good luck and remember to post pics for us to see what you found

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fistfulladirt said:
You can also ask for the rolls that "the tellers haven't searched yet"
I would never say that, you do not want to give away the secret.

Remember you are just a coin collector looking for coins for your album. :wink:

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Also, be sure to dump your rejects at a different bank. Tellers are easily annoyed!

OP
OP
S

stumpy041486

Jan 27, 2009

Well i did not do very good today. I went to 9 or 10 banks and got every half dollar they had. This was maybe $30-$40. Only one bank had rolls, and it was only one roll. One bank said they had $1 coins when I asked about them. I got $50 thinking it was going to be the big $1 coins (I didn't specify, beginners mistake). I was dissapointed when I saw they were smaller than the half dollars...lol. Is there anything I should look for in the dollar coins? One teller asked if I collected $2 bills. I said sure and got a $2 bill. It is a 2003. Is it worth anything? I thought they quit making $2 bills a long time ago? It is in almost perfect condition except it has a crease down the middle. I am going to go back through them and look them over good now. Should I have asked if they had any half dollars in the vault, or do they know that I mean the whole bank when I ask if they have any half dollars because the ones I got came from what the tellers had at their desks. Most of the banks I went to were the really small ones that have a drive through and an ATM machine. I plan on dumping these tomorrow and going to try some bigger banks.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It reminds of me my first time CRH. I stopped at a bank next to gym just before closing time. The teller said if you came tomorrow we had $250 halves in the vault. So the next I went and got them and they were somebody's dump. Each roll marked "clad". But I still look through each coin and guest what, I found a 1967 which you couldn't tell by the edge searching. That was my first silver! Hope you find your first tomorrow.

OP
OP
S

stumpy041486

Jan 27, 2009
I just went back through them and found a 1968 D half dollar. That is silver right? I had 116 half dollars in all. It was about twice what I thought I had. I guess it adds up when you go to that many banks. 1971 is not silver right? Anything good I could find in the $1 coins? I got several 1979, but that is the oldest.

MarkinIa

Nov 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-505
Yep, the 68 is 40% silver and the 71 is just clad.

When I go in to a bank I ask if they have any HD's, loose or in rolls.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread