I Won a Metal Det. Contest for bragging rights, With 1 Gold and a 1945 SLHD.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I haven’t posted for a week or so, so here’s what happened. I won the bragging rights by finding a gold ring and a 1945 Standing Liberty Half Dollar in a friendly hunt filmed by the TV Show Finders Keepers. I won bragging rights by finding a Gold promos ring and a 1945 SLHD.

I also found a Heavy Gold Plated pocket watch chain, a 1946 Quarter, 4 Mercury Dimes, 2 Roosevelt Dimes, Two Buffalo Nickels (1939 and a no date that I gave to a Security Guard), a Sterling Marksman’s Metal, a 925 silver ring with a star sapphire gem, a Pilot Badge (that I lost at the site). Not all these finds came from the Finders Keepers Hunt.

The SLHD was found under an old tree that has been hunted. The coin was down about 5” or so and was on edge. On my machine it gave off a signal that sounded like a 4” deep silver dime in this area, but scrammed saying I’m not iron in Iron ID mode. So I dug a little more and then rechecked. I followed that procedure three or four times but the signal didn’t seem to get any stronger but kept responding loud can clear in the Iron ID mode.

So decided to go for it and after about 4 hits with the mattock pick the coin filliped heads up in the hole, just as you see the partially covered coin in the hole. I used a loop to see the coin was before I took the photos. The reverse photo in the hole is after I picked it up and placed it back in for the photo.

And check this out:
The TV Show Finders Keepers documented me recovering a silver dime. Here’s how it happened:

I was in an area that I received a signal that my machine told me by sound it might be more that one target/coin. Many times this sound is a group of coins close to each other. The first target to come out of this area was wheat. The second target was about 5 inches away and turned out to be a memorial. I recheck the area and another signal was about 5 inches away, as was the previous targets from each other. I figured it could possibly be a silver coin so I called over the photographer and had him film the recovery. This coin came from an area that is flat impacted dirt, not grass. The coin turned out to be a silver Roosevelt dime.

I also had two unusual merc’s finds, with one being just under the surface but still exposed and one laying the surface but stuck. If you look closely you can see how I pointed this out in the photos.

And the 2 Dollar Bill I in an old book at a demo, it’s stained and cracked.

HH and Good Luck.

Attachments

• Reopen AH SLHS 1.JPG
    Reopen AH SLHS 1.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 1,279
  • Reopen AH  Silver Merc Exposed 1.JPG
    Reopen AH Silver Merc Exposed 1.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 1,237
  • Reopen AH  Silver 2nd Merc Exposed 2.JPG
    Reopen AH Silver 2nd Merc Exposed 2.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 1,252
  • Reopen AH  Silver 2nd Merc Exposed 1.JPG
    Reopen AH Silver 2nd Merc Exposed 1.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 1,265
  • Reopen AH Streling Markmans Badge 2.JPG
    Reopen AH Streling Markmans Badge 2.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,272
  • Reopen AH Streling Markmans Badge 1.JPG
    Reopen AH Streling Markmans Badge 1.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 1,269
  • Reopen AH HGE Watch Chain 2.JPG
    Reopen AH HGE Watch Chain 2.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,284
  • Reopen AH HGE Watch Chain 1.JPG
    Reopen AH HGE Watch Chain 1.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 1,276
  • Reopen AH Gold Ring 2.JPG
    Reopen AH Gold Ring 2.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,278
  • Reopen AH Gold Ring 1.JPG
    Reopen AH Gold Ring 1.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 1,283
  • Reopen AH SLHS 3.JPG
    Reopen AH SLHS 3.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,296
  • Reopen AH SLHS 2.JPG
    Reopen AH SLHS 2.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,300
Upvote 0

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Wow. what a haul.

Is the show going to be available on the internet at all?

anyway, congrats.

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
"I Won a Metal Det. Contest for bragging rights..." Ant, if you were as humble as you stated you were, you don't need no bragging. ;) :D

By the way, congrats on all the wilvers! That Walker is a nice one.

BDD...Kirk

OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Thanks for all the nice comments. And I would like to make one correction, I called the Big Silver coin a SLHD but it's really a Walking LHD. I'm a gold man, so what the heck. The show will be airing in about 5 to 6 weeks on Time Warner Cable's Lease TV Network, channel 99 in SoCal.

Most of the marbles at this site are found by eye, sometimes we dig them. I got plugged in with the show by being in the right place at the right time.

I hope I answered everyones questions, if not, please point it out.
Thanks

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very ,very cool Ant,big congrats on the great finds and being on TV. I will be looking for it!

oknorom

Sep 17, 2004
Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
great finds. nice pictures. i've hunted that place many times a few years back whan i lived in riverside. it's a very cool site to hunt. and leo is a cool guy. congrats.

Mike in Dana Point

OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Thanks again ;).

Ratman said:
Ant that's some narley loot you found there I can see why you won the contest . You really cleaned up on the silver , gold , and other great stuff . Nice variety of killer finds ! So you finally crossed paths with Leo and his film crew from Finders Keepers . Leo's a great guy and a skilled hunter for sure . And now you will be on TV and DVD pretty cool ! If you keep in contact with Leo he will tell you which episode you will be airing on . He also sells copys of previous episodes that you may want to check out for yourself . I recomend you check out episode #32 , it's maybe the best all-time show ever made . Complete with an AllStar cast of hunters from SoCal . Anyhow congrats again Ant on your fantastic finds and looking forward to seeing you on the show . Nice going !...... 8) ;D ;D ;D

Ratman 8)

Yeah, Leo is a cool dude, and for being so young he’s a Bank of Knowledge, he’s also hard to beat without any luck, and he’s the Star to the Show too. Thanks Ratman. I hope to see you out there one day. Good Luck in 2008 and I’ll see if I can get episode 32.

great finds. nice pictures. i've hunted that place many times a few years back whan i lived in riverside. it's a very cool site to hunt. and leo is a cool guy. congrats.

Mike in Dana Point

Thanks OK Norm (Mike in Dana Point)

I’d say that’s a fantastic spot and when the construction workers start moving more dirt around that will make many more treasures available for us to detect. The areas that are left are slated for recreation like a park along with jogging trails and the likes. HH and Good Luck in 2008

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds...Thanks for the pictures they made this a GREAT post. How did you get the clear closeup pictures and what program did you use to add the borders, pointers, etc?

What kind of site is this?

OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Hey thanks again.

SoreKneeDayton said:
Fantastic finds...Thanks for the pictures they made this a GREAT post. How did you get the clear closeup pictures and what program did you use to add the borders, pointers, etc?

What kind of site is this?

• How did you get the clear closeup pictures?

As far as I know in order to take close-ups like that the camera has to have a function called the MACRO mode, noted on digital camera menus by a universal symbol that looks like a small yellow daisy or yellow flower with green petals. The camera I use is the 5.0 mega pixels Digital HP M425 Photo Smart. First I make sure I have good lighting. Then using my eyes or reading glasses I focus on the item being photographed to see what the best angle is to see the clearest and most detail at. Once I determined the angel I get the camera and shoot the photo using the same angle that I saw the most detail at without the camera.
  • what program did you use to add the borders, pointers, etc?

I use MS Paint and it comes with the standard Windows set-up. I use the toolbox menu to cut and paste or transfer and or superimpose photos with others. Then I use the same toolbox menu to manually paint the borders you see. Other photo editing programs have borders to select from, and will automatically set them. This is the way I do it.
  • What kind of site is this?

This site consists of Flattop housing from the mid 30’s.

I hope this helps, if you need more detail send me a PM, thanks and HH.

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Closeups

Thanks for the tips Ant. I use a Kodak DX3500 with closeup setting but my lighting is off--I think. And you have much sharper images. I see some folks pictures have no shadows also. I wonder if they are shooting through glass.

We have some sun today in Ohio (usually like old England, gray and cloudy). Maybe I will reshoot some in good light and see if that helps.

Does your camera have auto-stabilization?

Thanks
God Bless

OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Re: Closeups

SoreKneeDayton said:
Thanks for the tips Ant. I use a Kodak DX3500 with closeup setting but my lighting is off--I think. And you have much sharper images. I see some folks pictures have no shadows also. I wonder if they are shooting through glass.

We have some sun today in Ohio (usually like old England, gray and cloudy). Maybe I will reshoot some in good light and see if that helps.

Does your camera have auto-stabilization?

Thanks
God Bless

No, but it has an auto focus, when the green brackets turn from red to green I shoot. I manually stabilize the camera as much as possible using props or by just propping my wrest or whatever is needed to keep the camera still. I do have a 7” tripod but I really don’t use it.

The trick seems to be what you see with your eyes the camera will see too. Get a clear view using your eyeballs and then take the photo using the same angle and lighting. A darker background can sometimes helps with contrast and detail too. I use a face towel or something along those lines, good velvet can't be beat though. I take my photos as close a 5".

Does your camera have a MACRO function?

HH
God Bless you too.

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HH
God Bless you too.

[/quote]
Yes I have the tulip symbol. Will try steadying and reshot tonight.
Thanks for help. Now go dig...

OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

SoreKneeDayton said:

HH
God Bless you too.
Yes I have the tulip symbol. Will try steadying and reshot tonight.
Thanks for help. Now go dig...
[/quote]

The part that you don't see, my cheap photo box:

Attachments

• Photo Set-Up.JPG
    Photo Set-Up.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 206

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks Ant, thats what I needed. Great idea on the box.
Terry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread