I wont be retiring the Deus for rhe Equinox anytime soon

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even tho I now own a Equinox, I wont be retiring the Deus anytime soon.

This morning I went to my iron infested beach with the Deus.

I was just there a few days ago with my new 800 and didn't have anything to show for that trip.

It was a different story today. I got my 3rd walker half since I started hunting. Two of the 3 walkers have come out of this iron beach, both found with the Deus.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Equinox will be a valuable addition, especially hunting for deep coins in cleaner areas, but for the heavy iron, the Dues rules. Maybe when Minlab comes out with a smaller coil and I get a bunch more hours in with the 800 my opinion may change.

half.jpg

I also scooped a silver rosie and 2 wheaties

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would buy the nox if I had the extra cash. Just too many projects going on right now. I wont be getting rid o my F75 or Etrac. But think your knowledge with the deus gives you a advantage.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes Toothpick, your mind WILL change. :laughing7::occasion14:

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to change the subject......but, am I the only person that has not gotten his Equinox yet?

Congrats on the finds. The silvers are awesome.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Isn't the beach an ever changing target scenario?

Beautiful walking half dollar!

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
That is one nice BIG silver.
Congrats!!

ltd063,
No you're not the only one.
I don't see a need to have one.
My Deus is a magnet for goodies and in the thick iron it's the only one that can do it!!
About the only reason I can see to have one in the wet salt.
I live to far from the beach to worry about missing stuff there.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Those silvers are in amazing shape coming from the beach. Grats!

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't the beach an ever changing target scenario?

Beautiful walking half dollar!

It's a fresh water beach, so yes it does change a bit from time to time, but not like a ocean beach with tides and monster waves etc.

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went ahead and retired mine because I was lucky and found a good solid oak limb and cut it to the right length to hold that shelf up so I no longer needed it.:laughing9:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome silvers. I purchased an Equinox and due to that oversize coil and that some (fill in the blank) person idiot engineered it ergonomically I sold it fast. I was disappointed I had to sell it but the blasted thing hurt my shoulder and I am NOT putting up with that. I have other machines that don't bother me so I'm sticking with those. It was a stinky lesson for me.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deus is king in iron..

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Deus has the edge in thick iron with either HF coil. Actually surprised how well the Equinox does do with the 11" coil. One thing I have found is that to unmask in thick iron is to keep iron bias at 0. I also use AM and 50 tones. Still, at least until the 6" coil is available, the Deus will have the edge. Regardless, even if Equinox does better with the small coil, the Deus is not going anywhere.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Equinox is a good machine. No doubt. I expect a technology revolution soon, we have to wait to see where it plays out.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I still expect that Deus will be making more adjustments(their history proves its) and hopefully affordable ones. I still believe that the Nox will have it's place to shine and it does now. it is hard to find a perfect detector that does every thing perfect for everyone. Too many applications that vary as to what a person needs from person to person. I guess that is why so many of us have several detectors but we tend to gravitate towards certain ones that fill "our bill". I do believe that one can be too close minded about a specific brand or type at times. But having said that, any person that is proficient with any given machine also tends to be so because they are more confident and proficient with it. ...yeah, whatever he just said LOL. Competition between companies just make better products with better capabilities for us in the long run.

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not to change the subject......but, am I the only person that has not gotten his Equinox yet?

Congrats on the finds. The silvers are awesome.

No, you and I both haven't gotten it yet. If I do, it wont be until I see something that convinces me its better than my Deus for seperation or my CTX for depth.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, you and I both haven't gotten it yet. If I do, it wont be until I see something that convinces me its better than my Deus for seperation or my CTX for depth.

Hmm, so you're sending two detectors priced at $4K total up against the $900 Equinox? Lol. Are you sure you're not a ML marketing rep in disguise?

It is deeper than the CTX on gold and separates better than Deus in Salt water, is that good enough?

It's not best at anything but darn close to what is best and keeps you from having to use the CTX for this and the Deus for that.

However, it is definitely not going to beat either of those detectors at their own game so it makes less sense to jump from Deus to Equinox but perhaps a tad more sense from the slow, heavy. but deep on silver and VDI accurate CTX.

I consider the Equinox to be a great compliment to my Deus.

I cannot speak of the CTX because I only borrowed it, but having owned a Deus and Excal II did not find it compelling for me at its price point, slower recovery speed, and heft. That is just my opinion, obviously, it is a great detector in its own right. The Excal is going bye, bye however, as I am not a diver.

Equinox will allow me to have to pack only one detector on beach vacations, now.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember a lot of folks cannot afford a detector over $300 or $500, so some of the discussion here is irrelevant. And my $329 machine has found dozens of times it's cost in goodies. And remember the three rules of detecting, have a machine that works, have a site with targets in the ground and dig it all let God sort it out. I would have missed some of my best finds if I went by the VDI or "sound". If a machine works, enjoy it.

Technology will make all this obsolete within 2 years anyway.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice silver. I agree the nox hasn’t been around long enough for me to switch just yet. I’ll wait till all the hype dies down some. Let other people tell us the pros and cons first then I’ll decide.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Equinox would have been perfect with a 8 or 9 inch stock search coil.

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread