Ice Storms--Has it interupted your searchn?

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
Ice Storms--Has it interupted your search'n?

Since last Saturday the MDing here in Mo. has been on hold. Got a bit of a thaw yesterday; just in time for the next snowstorm due in here late this afternoon. Might be able to get in some swinging by next Saturday, maybe. Guess we are paying for all that good weather we had prior to the storm. Well, at least we got the electricity back on. Good luck and stay warm, and HH to those that can....

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Re: Ice Storms--Has it interupted your search'n?

Well I thought to go out today, but it was coming some white, strange cold stuff!
So it was no hunting made today.. :(
But theres a day on sunday to :)

papa

Sep 21, 2006

Wanted to go,but the chill factor was 10F,and wind up to 55 mph. :(

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

no ice here but it has gotten ccccoooolllldddd! wind was whipping around today making it feel like the teens. dont think ill be out this weekend!

jc2

Sep 18, 2004
Philadelphia Pa
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE w/SunRay X1 Probe, Sovereign Elite w/SunRay S1 Probe, Garrett Infinium LS and the Tesoro Cortes'

. . . here in Philly Pa it's 28 deg with wind chills of 18 deg. . . . thought I'ld go out on Sunday to hunt . . . just wondering if anyone is having trouble digging . . .

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola

It was cold and windy today, but I was in a gymnasium refereeing wrestling matches.

I doubt if I'll get out tomorrow, supposed to have snow and freezing drizzle.

DM

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I used to never MD in the winter here, but since this thing called El Nino in '98 and this year I've had some great outings here in MO...went out Friday for a few hours and yesterday..when I started both days you could see your breath, the ground was too hard to dig in some areas (top 2 inches kinda frozen) and wore jersey gloves because the dampness in the cold ground was freezing my hands (ruined 2 pairs)! But each day warmed up nicely and I had a great time.

Kinda hard to believe I was out late yesterday afternoon because there's snow on the ground now..I guess I'll just hang out here with y'all and do some reading until the next opportunity comes along.

Nat

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Kinda hard to hunt the Lost Dutchman mine when it's snowing/raining and cold as hell >:(

papa

Sep 21, 2006

It's so slick here,I can't even get out of my driveway :(

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Sometime you just have ot say the heck with it. LOL
Didn't find squat other than junk but at least after two weeks of not getting out, the DT's have subsided at least a little bit. :D

Attachments

• S3010446.jpg
    S3010446.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 141
  • S3010447.jpg
    S3010447.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 136

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now that's dedication! I know how you feel. I've gone out on some days that the wind was blowing and it was just above freezing and BRRRRRR! Biggest problem I found was I kept leaving a snot trail and ran out of kleenex. Looked like a slug had been through there! LOL! I haven't had much luck around those house teardowns for some reason. There's so much junk they're hard to detect. My ratio of junque to somethng worth digging is about 50:1 I'd guess. Mostly a lot of hard work for nothing. I actually have found more keepers before they are torn down. Anyway, good luck to you. Hope to see you soon. Monty

RonNewbie

Jan 14, 2007
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, MXT

Gee, I know what you mean. We've had either snow or rain every weekend since I got my new DFX which is driving me nuts...! It's probably continue snowing till June now... Take care.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2

I work outside on the roof year round so I will get out and hunt in just about any weather. The biggest hurdle that I have encounterd is that after some really cold days the ground is so hard you simply cannot dig in it. Ive been trying to figure some spots to detect that wouldnt freeze. The woods are a good place to start,the ground doesnt freeze nearly as fast. This morning a new,unforseen enemy has appeared.its white,cold and deep. The ground underneath is as yet not frozen so Im thinking I can take a shovel and clear off some snow in an area and still get some hunting on. The most important part to having a good winter hunt is to dress accordingly. I wear coveralls with rubber pants so the knees dont get wet. Two hoods over my earphones to keep my head and ears warm,also a pair of brown jersey gloves with a pair of black rubber gloves to keep them dry. Dress like you have to survive and you will have a great time,dont and you will have a cold awful experience that will make you hide out til spring. Those home demos are a little tough to hunt around but I hunt a lot of them they are easy to get into and there are a ton of targets. A small coil is vital though and I hunt with very little discrim. There are so many overlapping targets that most any good targets get lost in the null,HH...Shoot

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark

use this frozen ground recipe when using it is: a pinch for a square inch
warning !!!!!!!not suitable for children under 8 must have parental supervision

Attachments

• 4 07 C-4 block l.jpg
    4 07 C-4 block l.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 112
S

stefen

Hey stoney56 , is that big yellow thing behind ya, your new diggin tool? ;D

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

stefen said:
Hey stoney56 , is that big yellow thing behind ya, your new diggin tool? ;D

Well what do you expect? That DeLeon picks up Deep signals. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread