✅ SOLVED ID Help - Clay figure

cikaida

Jun 28, 2017
San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings, all. First time poster, long time lurker. I took a chance and bought this piece from a gentleman from Zacatecas, said its been in his family for several generations. The figure is approximately 6 1/4" tall and 3" across, definitely hollow. Any help identifying it, and whether or not it is even authentic, would be very much appreciated. Apologies for the white balance..

_DSC0002.JPG _DSC0007.JPG _DSC0006.JPG

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope it turns out to be real for you. There is a couple of people that might know about it and maybe they will stop in and tell us. Welcome to the forum, rock

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send a PM to Joshua Ream. If anyone can give you answers he would be your guy. He really knows his Meso American artifacts.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
the "several generations" thing is very, very suspicious...huge red flag...

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the "several generations" thing is very, very suspicious...huge red flag...

I agree. That claim is so often added simply to lend a sense of authenticity to the sale pitch. Still, I hope Joshuaream weighs in, as he will likely have the most experienced opinion....

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
It looks like one of the solid figurines from West Mexico. Jalisco state, but possibly Zacatecas. The fact you say hollow is odd.

Old ones, repaired ones, and new ones are all pretty common.

Google this and you'll see pictures of one of the styles, but if you cross a valley or a river there is a new style. A specific collector could probably tell you the specific area it came from.

Tuxcacuesco Ortices

Last edited:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like one of the solid figurines from West Mexico. Jalisco state, but possibly Zacatecas. The fact you say hollow is odd.

Old ones, repaired ones, and new ones are all pretty common.

Google this and you'll see pictures of one of the styles, but if you cross a valley or a river there is a new style. A specific collector could probably tell you the specific area it came from.

Tuxcacuesco Ortices

Told you he was your guy. lol

OP
OP
C

cikaida

Jun 28, 2017
San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah thank you so much. Your reputation around here is spot on. It has a hole in between the figures legs which led me to believe it was indeed hollow. Thank you again, this info very useful!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions