ID help needed

MDING TOM

Mar 19, 2006
Watton, MI. (Upper Pen.)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, let me first say thanks for any help you may give me. I'm not much of a stone/rock collector or mineral collector but I found these rocks cook so I had to bring them home. The family and I was coming home from a trip to my mother in-laws when we stop along the shores of Lake Superior near a place called Picture Rock. I'm thinking these rocks came from there but not sure.

Ok first rock is a dark purple with lines of lighter purple and quarts mix together. go though 058.JPG go though 061.JPG

The next rock is a lighter purple then the last but it looks to have a layer of iron in it. go though 064.JPG go though 066.JPG

And the last one looks to be a pink/rose color quarts with Iron lines running though it. go though 067.JPG go though 068.JPG go though 070.JPG

My question is what kind of rocks/minerals are these and is there in value in them. Thanks again for any help you may give me.

Rattlehead

Dec 16, 2010
Byron Center, MI
The first one is cool. Almost looks like a variation of a Gowanda Tillite almost septarian-like. Not particularly rare I would say, but definitely cool. I make spheres and I'm sure that would look great.

Not sure on the second one. The third looks just like some quartzite.

Pretty cool rocks though.

Upvote 0

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
Tom
Check out this link to Pictured Rocks Park.
NPS: Nature & Science» Geology Resources Division
I think it is sandstone from the Jacobsville formation.
From the web site:

The Jacobsville Formation, of late Precambrian (Keweenawan) age is the oldest formation exposed in the park. It is a fluvial, feldspar-rich quartz sandstone, deep red in color with white mottling. The red coloration is thought to be primary and the white, a result of subsequent leaching along joints and bedding planes (Hamblin, 1958). The Jacobsville, regionally quite variable in thickness, is 1,100 feet thick in the Grand Marais area, however usually only the top few feet rise above lake level within PRNL (e.g. vicinity of Au Sable Point). This formation was quarried for building stone in the late nineteenth century. Several buildings in Munising and Marquette were constructed using Jacobsville block or facing. The western side of Grand Island, just west of PRNL within the Hiawatha National Forest, features spectacular Jacobsville cliffs.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not being familiar with the area is a draw back. However I think Baja nailed it. :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions