ID Help Please

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this on a shipwreck beach, just laying there. Couldn't believe it! I know it is something, but I don't know what. I have googled pin, stake, weapon, peg, handle and tool and cannot find anything on line for comparison.

The wood is very old, there are plenty of shipworm markings and a few of their shells. It measures 7 inches long and the tip has metal -assume iron because a magnet sticks to it and the metal is about the size of a penny- inserted into the wood. The very center is dented, so it was hammered or possibly it became dented from whatever it was used for. I cannot see any markings in the metal yet, as I have only dry wiped it. The other end has a cut down the middle.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• P1110646 c.JPG
    P1110646 c.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 85
  • P1110645 c.JPG
    P1110645 c.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 83
  • P1110644 c.JPG
    P1110644 c.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 97
  • P1110648 - Copy.JPG
    P1110648 - Copy.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 105
  • P1110647 c.JPG
    P1110647 c.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 82
OP
OP
BeachComber7

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, I was hoping it was something cooler than that!! However, it IS very old nonetheless! And it may have been in the dune for a while, fell out and was in and out of the surf until I came across it. I am soaking it, get out the salts in the piece. It was starting to get what I read is called the white bloom so i know its loaded with sea salt.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, it sure looks like a dresser leg. With the steel end piece, I am sure it is. Hard to say how old. With the wood tenon on the end, it isnt normal modern stuff, but could be. Stuff has been washing up on the shore there for a long time.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread