Id Help

alaldrid

Apr 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking this might be part of a broken hoe or maybe nothing at all. It looks to me like it has been worked.
hoefront1.jpg
hoefront.jpg
Hoeback.jpg
Hoeedge.jpg
Hoeside.jpg

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
are you sure it is broken?....looks like a whole one to me, but then again I just know them from pix.

OP
OP
alaldrid

alaldrid

Apr 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are you sure it is broken?....looks like a whole one to me, but then again I just know them from pix.
I have just seen pics of them also. The ones that I have seen have 2 sides. There is no sign of a new break.

OP
OP
alaldrid

alaldrid

Apr 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked on the web at some pictures of stone hoes and some of the pictures looked like mine. It might be a whole hoe.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
It doesn't appear to be broken. I don't think it's a hoe, however. Either a huge hafted scraper or a chopper is my guess. Nice find

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is smooth at the top where the hand would be.........it then is a hand ax. I thought mine was a hoe till I got a few bit more lessons on how to tell the difference from GTP he really knows his stuff. Ill show you my hand ax it looks just like yours but mine is a larger style. Very nice find!

Attachments

• 100_3147.JPG
    100_3147.JPG
    376.8 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP
alaldrid

alaldrid

Apr 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is smooth at the top where the hand would be.........it then is a hand ax. I thought mine was a hoe till I got a few bit more lessons on how to tell the difference from GTP he really knows his stuff. Ill show you my hand ax it looks just like yours but mine is a larger style. Very nice find!

It does form to your hand fairly well. You might be right.
Thanks all for the help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread