Id like some quick advice if you can spare a moment! :)

Ryan6060

Nov 28, 2007
PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I'd like some quick advice if you can spare a moment! :)

I live in Central PA. Headed to camp this weekend, which borders a creek. The fields around it have produced artifacts, and I imagine the creekbed would be a good place to look as well. Any advice on how to search the creek? Would it be wise to by a sifter of some sort before I go?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: I'd like some quick advice if you can spare a moment! :)

use a 2 x 4 -- 8 foot long --- cut it into 4--- 2 long foot pieces ---using long screws -- screw em into a frame shape use 1/4 chicken wire screening -- cut to fit and a bunch of u type frencing nails --- hammer flush into the wood --- cheap and effective --screen

OP
OP
Ryan6060

Ryan6060

Nov 28, 2007
PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Thank you! Any advice on method of searching, or locations on the creek (bends, etc). I read that walking up stream so the dirt you kick up washes away from you is preferable...

SoIll

Oct 6, 2008
Il

Here's some advice: If you can't find them on the surface of the creek bed then go back to the fields. If you want to screen you need to do it in the dirt above the creeks. jmo

OP
OP
Ryan6060

Ryan6060

Nov 28, 2007
PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Thanks! I'm hoping i'll get lucky and spot one on the creek bed.

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio

Ryan6060 said:
I live in Central PA. Headed to camp this weekend, which borders a creek. The fields around it have produced artifacts, and I imagine the creekbed would be a good place to look as well. Any advice on how to search the creek? Would it be wise to by a sifter of some sort before I go?

Thanks!
you are right,it is best to walk up stream,and make sure you look in the dirt walls that lead down to the bank of the creek.bends in creeks and places where there are fallen trees and debris in the creek are always good spots to look closely because alot of stuff can get hung up in those places.i search the gravel bars twice just because of the simple fact its real easy to miss stuff,i have found stuff on the second pass and i always wonder how did i miss that.i agree with SoIll that sifting the creek is a crap shoot at best,unless you find a concentration of artifacts on a bar then you mite consider sifting.and the best advice i could give you is to go slow and take your time,your eyes will have much more to look at than when hunting a field.post some pics up if you find anything.goodluck!

OP
OP
Ryan6060

Ryan6060

Nov 28, 2007
PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Well, I spent a few hours stumbling around the creek. It is deep and silty in some places, and shallow (just over ankle) in other areas. There do seem to be concentrations of stones in the shallow areas and very few stones in the deeper silt bottom areas. Should I continue to look through these concentrations of stones or am I beating a dead horse here? The water was crystal clear, and I found old pottery shards (not native American, but early 20th century most likely).

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon

I always pay more attention walking with the flow. Not against it. I do however, walk and look against the flow to get to my stopping point. The points in my area tend to lean against rocks so you might not see them walking up.
Like these.
Newt

Attachments

• 0201091718[1].jpg
    0201091718[1].jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 268
  • 0201091718[1].jpg
    0201091718[1].jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 264
  • Mar11_001.jpg
    Mar11_001.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 267

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio

Ryan6060 said:
Well, I spent a few hours stumbling around the creek. It is deep and silty in some places, and shallow (just over ankle) in other areas. There do seem to be concentrations of stones in the shallow areas and very few stones in the deeper silt bottom areas. Should I continue to look through these concentrations of stones or am I beating a dead horse here? The water was crystal clear, and I found old pottery shards (not native American, but early 20th century most likely).
sometimes it may seem like you are wasting your time.but hey thats why they call it hunting.most of my creek finds are in the gravel bars,always hunt those.i usually dont waste to much time in the deep silty muddy parts of a creek.the shallow areas and gravel/sand bars are where you are going to find most of your artifacts.it takes some time to find you a good creek or a good spot in a creek.you did say that you had found artifacts in the fields near that creek rite?did you hunt the spot in the creek that is nearest where you have found artifacts in the field?thats where i usually begin if possible.and you also need to know that a good creek will not always produce every time out,thats what is frustrating about hunting the creeks.but its pretty rewarding when you start finding some good ones.keep at it,you will find them.good luck dude :thumbsup:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dont give up yet. :walk:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions