diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This rock/mineral came from my wife's mother's Curio cabinet. Trying to identify it. She passed away last year and this is a keepsake from her of a more personal nature. It was something she found on one of her many hikes with her husband in the Blue Ridge Mountains. She lived in Hickory, NC for many years. It does have a slight luminescence to it under a black light, especially on the fractured face. You can see it's got an opal like glow to it if you enlarge the photos. It's not very big, only measuring about 2" long and 1" wide and approx. 5/8" thick. Here are the photos-

DSC01107.jpg DSC01108.jpg DSC01109.jpg

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That appears to be a piece of opal you have. Wet it and see if there is fire on the dark side. An unusual find for NC to bad you don't know exactly were it came from.

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It appears to be Opal to me as well! I have or had a small piece just like it that came from North Carolina and I picked it up at the old Heather Grove (Pay) Mine when it was still in operation. I doubt that that is where it came from but who knows.

Frank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That appears to be a piece of opal you have. Wet it and see if there is fire on the dark side. An unusual find for NC to bad you don't know exactly were it came from.
Yes there is! This would have come from the Pisgah National forest somewhere, that's where they always went hiking. That's about as narrowed down as I can make it.

Upvote 0

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great keep-sake- and it certainly does look like opal! How cool is that?! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the picture I can pick out what appears to be fire. You say that it came out when you wet it then :) It would take some hiking but a piece like that would have me scratching about for sure. Up to you but if you talk around you might find someone who can carefully polish the fire up a bit to make it really pop or you can keep it in a bottle of oil to let it shine.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Better leave it in water, or have someone polish it. Oil is a big no-no for any opal. :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread