ID Needed - Secret Society Pin?

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this pin yesterday (Wednesday - 10/26/2011) deep in an old San Francisco, CA park, at a level consistant with pre-WWII coins and relics. Found a 1909 V Nickel at around the same depth so I assume this has been buried for many decades. The back says "STER.PAT." and "1967965" or possibly no "1" on begining of the patent number so . . "967965". I am guessing masonic but have no clue. Any info would be sincerely appreciated! :icon_pirat:

HH, Mark

Front
Same size as a U.S. Quarter in circumfrence, depth is approx 3 U.S. Quarters stacked.

1zdcfux.jpg

Rear with clip closed
2irm15y.jpg

Rear with clip open
9blpol.jpg

Upvote 0

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess is STER (for Sterling) PAT (for Patent) then the number so I'd say that denotes Sterling Silver with the Patent numbers on the pin.................Rich

Haven't figured out what the pin is yet...........Rich

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice pin.
dont know for sure but a lot of Sororities use the owl as a symbol.

Palmetto

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Not Masonic, perhaps Woodsmen of the World?

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
neat clip!!! MR TUFF

OP
OP
49r Relics

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon said:

That dates it right where I thought. Thanks!! :thumbsup:

Could also be a fraternity/sorority pin. Could just be an owl pin . . . but, the one element that makes me think it is a symbol is the fact that the owl is sitting on a crescent. The owls appears in countless secret societies and mythology.

On the dollar bill, they put it on a crescent shape
200e0c1.png

Also, look at the feet of the owl outline, a crescent
259yfyx.png

Like I said, I may be way off here but I have poor research skills :help:

Mark :icon_pirat:

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't look Masonic to me ,buuuuuuuuut. Nice find Congrats :icon_thumleft:

WilliamBoyd

Sep 22, 2007
California
I don't think it has anything to do with a "secret society", but is a piece of jewelry.

I ran "Pin Owl Crescent moon" through a search engine and came up with
many similar decorative and jewelry items, some old, some modern.

:)

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Very neat piece :thumbsup: I looked through several images and websites and couldn't find anything similar. There are so many different meanings for owl and moon symbols I'm afraid this one is going to be hard to nail down. I'll keep looking, I like a good whatsit challenge.

HH Charlie

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is not a pin. It is a ladies clip-on earring. My mother (76 years old - shhh!) has jewelry boxes full of them from the 50's, 60's, and 70's.

DCMatt

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
I was thinking about an earring also. But the piece with the writing needs to be longer to clip on, unless it is broken. As far as the owl, I think nice owl design and no secret membership. Unless it is to the Uniformed Ranks. KoP forever!

bogeymcq

Dec 3, 2006
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Presently mental, not metal
:icon_thumright: Awesome find!:icon_thumleft:

Lady's clip on earring? ??? Now I really could be wrong but I don't think it is an earring, the way the clip shows I am seeing if it was clipped to the earlobe it would be clipped with the owl upside down :icon_scratch: But I could be wrong :dontknow: Tried to do a mini-search an I saw similar pin clips but they listed them as "fur clips" & if this pin is from the 30s-40s I could see it clipped to a fox shawl or something like that :wink:

Again awesome find! :thumbsup: And I look forward to as you learn more we all are learing more ;D

:D

misplacedrednek

Aug 20, 2006
Temple, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bohemian grove came to mind but somebody already beat me to that guess. The only reason I've even heard of that is because I watch entirely too much history channel. Regardless of what it is, it's a sweet find, congrats!

Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread