ID please

Whiplash00

Jan 21, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a little bigger than a quarter and has some weight. The metallic dot in the center is where I tested it.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472619271.917862.jpg

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Other than the image, which looks like iron ore, among other things, what are the characteristics of this rock that make you believe it may be a meteorite?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, "meteorwrong" in my opinion.

No one on this forum can tell you if your rock is from space. We can guess, that's all. If you really think you have found a meteorite you need to check with a local geologist, and determine if your find is within a known strewnfield.

NEVER buy a "meteorite" off Ebay - ever. Your chances of buying an expensive earth rock are better than 75%.

So, when you ask "Is this a meteorite?" remember, we are just guessing.
occasion14.gif

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a few test you can do to rule this out as a meteorite. Those test can be googled and wont do any harm to the stone. Reading up on the different type of meteorites is also helpful. Weight and makeup of the stone is the best way to get a good guess. You picked it up for a reason, as long as there wasn't more than one rock there that looked like that. One thing is the stone should feel five times too heavy. This would be really cool if you did find a meteorite so let us know.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I can fake a meteorite with my oxy/acetylene torch, a bit of cast iron, throw in
a little nickel, melt it and when molten throw it in some water.
Thing about meteorites is they are made of cheap available stuff. Not like there is a huge investment.

And what Terry said. I can't imagine a time in history when so many things are faked. It doesn't
seem to matter even when the faked stuff sells so cheap.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I can fake a meteorite with my oxy/acetylene torch, a bit of cast iron, throw in
a little nickel, melt it and when molten throw it in some water.
Thing about meteorites is they are made of cheap available stuff. Not like there is a huge investment.

And what Terry said. I can't imagine a time in history when so many things are faked. It doesn't
seem to matter even when the faked stuff sells so cheap.
Like Casca said about testing. Mostly easy and not costly. Magnets, nickel tests, window.

OP
OP
W

Whiplash00

Jan 21, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't explain on here all of the stuff that is going on. There's too much to tell and I don't know where to begin. I did a streak test on this one, but with the amount of iron in the ground a lot of the pieces I find have oxide build up depending on the depth they are in the ground, so it streaks red until cleaned up. I hit another with a large hammer and it didn't phase it. Used an N52 REM and had a hard time pulling it off. One piece was really deep and covered in calcium carbonate. When dissolved in hydrochloric acid it revealed a shiny metal shard that looks like platinum or silver and has signs of intense heat.
Weight is .90oz
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472701028.229091.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472701039.668325.jpg

Art_Blade

Jun 25, 2014
Warsaw
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Teknetics Omega 8000
White's VX3, V3i
DeTech SSP-2000PI, Garrett pinponter, Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that you can use dimethylglyoxime test. If will be positive try to find some geologist like Terry :skullflag: told.
I'm too far away from you:laughing7:

OP
OP
W

Whiplash00

Jan 21, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another thing. I found this with my at pro. It's calcium carbonate 16 grams before dissolved in hydrochloric acid. Ended up being 10 gram shard of silver or something. I found it in a field of fossilized coral about 16" deep.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1473297807.039743.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1473297867.816173.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1473297950.574192.jpg

Leeway1

Greenie
Jul 7, 2016
South Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That last piece looks pretty cool.
I would like to see a window into it.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
With all due respect, I have been a meteorite collector for nearly 35 years. I know many of the top collectors in the world, some of the largest private collections. Not only is eBay a good place to purchase meteorites, it tends to be a buyers market compared to the major auction houses. Further, many of the leading meteorite dealers in the hobby maintain a presence on eBay. If you see a dealer who is a member of the International Meteorite Collectors Association(IMCA), you will be guaranteed that what you receive is what is described. A good friend of mine, whose name would readily be recognized for his numerous articles pertaining to the chemistry of meteorites, buys off eBay frequently. He loves it, and I don't blame him. You can get some great deals. Even a brief view of the first several pages of eBay listings reveals the overwhelming majority of items offered are genuine meteorites offered by honest sellers.

SorenCoins

Apr 5, 2015
Parker, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find 60, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I like to think that people are being honest rather than always assuming something is non-genuine. Though you do have to be careful

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread