Identification of my 84lb green rock????

sweets10v8

Tenderfoot
May 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 20160507_164731small.jpg
    20160507_164731small.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 247
OP
OP
S

sweets10v8

Tenderfoot
May 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It came with my house I bought 4 years ago. Been sitting out as a decorative rock in some ground cover next to the garage. I thought it was a chunk of recycled/melted plastic until I tried to pick it up this weekend..... It does have some places that aren't green and has rock inbedded into it.

The original owner of the house owned a large "Sand and Gravel" company. Wondering if he found it somewhere in their digging?!?!?! I know nothing about rocks, who knows where it came from, but I live in Michigan.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Malachite would be my guess, based on your Michigan location and the image provided. An experienced lapidary, or a local rock and mineral club may be able to positively identify.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd love a close-up shot. At first I thought malachite to, but something disturbs me.

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It came with my house I bought 4 years ago. Been sitting out as a decorative rock in some ground cover next to the garage. I thought it was a chunk of recycled/melted plastic until I tried to pick it up this weekend..... It does have some places that aren't green and has rock inbedded into it.

The original owner of the house owned a large "Sand and Gravel" company. Wondering if he found it somewhere in their digging?!?!?! I know nothing about rocks, who knows where it came from, but I live in Michigan.

IT WOULD BE BENEFICIAL IF YOU'D PROVIDE ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND ASSIST IN ITS IDENTIFICATION.

LIKE WHERE FOUND, SITUATION, AND THE LIKE...
Stop shouting and read before you post. She did that already. Geesh!

The way it's fractured says slag glass to me, all day long. Malachite doesn't look like that in it's natural state.

http://www.minerals.net/gemstone/malachite_gemstone.aspx?img=/RoughImage/1/72/Malachite.aspx#photos

malachite-mashamba-mine-zaire.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sweets10v8

Tenderfoot
May 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stop shouting and read before you post. She did that already. Geesh!
Haha, Im a "He" but unlike a lot of this country these days, I take no offense.:occasion14:

My Username is based on my old trucks I used to hot rod. Sweet S-10 V8. I used to take the small Chevy S-10 trucks and put V8 engines in them.

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it was small (gravel size) and from Eastern Europe, I might have guessed Moldavite which would have been really cool.

Do you see any gas bubbles in it? I am thinking it might be Obsidian. However, if there was an old glassworks in the area, that would be my bet. I will follow the thread with interest because at this point I am only guessing.

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Malachite answers are incorrect, it is certainly not malachite. I agree that slag glass is correct. I cut a lot of malachite, it does not have conchoidal fractures and is not translucent.

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, Im a "He" but unlike a lot of this country these days, I take no offense.:occasion14:

My Username is based on my old trucks I used to hot rod. Sweet S-10 V8. I used to take the small Chevy S-10 trucks and put V8 engines in them.
Whoops, it figures I see the word sweets and think female automatically. Must be the chauvinist in me, lol. :dontknow:

Upvote 0

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Now that additional images have been provided, I am going to change my opinion. Based on the newer images I am switching to green glass slag. The conchoidal fractures in the newer images are what changed my mind. Should new images or new information arise, I may change my opinion once again.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions