identification of shotgun shell

tactix56

Nov 5, 2016
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Other
IMG_0691.jpg IMG_0692.jpg

Trying to find out the age (date) of this shell. research purposes. I am an archaeologist and found this at a site that I believe to be historic. Can anybody help?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are very early. Late 1800's. Any head stamp on it? I don't see one. Now to be a shotgun shell the piece in the center of the base would be for the primer.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not a shot shell. Looks to be 1-3/4" long but with a very large rim. Maybe a Maynard or Gallagher cartridge? Need precise measurements.

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's not a shot shell. Looks to be 1-3/4" long but with a very large rim. Maybe a Maynard or Gallagher cartridge? Need precise measurements.

thought it was strange that an archeologist gives measurements next to a ruler and in INCHES no less. lol. my archeology professor would have never done that. not in a million years. :dontknow:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
thought it was strange that an archeologist gives measurements next to a ruler and in INCHES no less. lol. my archeology professor would have never done that. not in a million years. :dontknow:

When identifying American ammunition the measurements should all be in inches. Makes identifying much easier, you don't have to chase down and transfer mm to inches.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Your empty case looks to me like and inside primed, or Benet primed 50-70 cartridge. The priming was held inside the case by using a cup, which was crimped into place, which you can see the crimp on your cartridge case. 50-70 cartridges were manufactured for the army starting in 1866, and production ceased in 1873 with the adoption of the Springfield single shot rifle and carbine chambered in 45-70. The figure .50 means the bullet is 1/2 inch, the the powder charge was 70 grains of black powder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50-70_Government

BENET-PRIMED
- A common style of inside-primed car-tridge developed by Col. S.V Benet commander of Frankford Arsenal in the late 1860s. It was used extensively in early U.S. military ammunition. A copper or iron cup was secured inside the head of the case by characteristic crimps. This cup served as an anvil to enable the firing pin to activate the priming mixture and also to reinforce the head of the case.
benet_primed.gif

The 50-70 case is 1.75 inches long and the rim diameter is .660 inches.

Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got to thinking. 50-70 cartridges are -- or at least were -- just a few years ago still being manufactured, they might still be today. I used to shoot an original 1865 Springfield rifle, and I purchased ammo and also brass for the gun from Dixie Gun Works. Just because the army quit using that caliber doesn't mean everyone else did, so other companies also manufactured that caliber cartridge. However, your cartridge case is unique, in that it is made out of copper, inside primed, and was only manufactured at Frankford Arsenal from 1866 until 1873. Nobody else manufactured inside primed ammunition. Later on ammunition was head stamped with a date of manufacture, but that didn't start until sometime after 1877, I can't remember just off the top of my head. All that info can be found out doing google searches.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions