Identify this "treasure"? - small metal tin

bethisa2j

Sep 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this small metal tin today. I am not sure if the green center is the bottom or top and the green is very smooth feeling. It appears that this tin may be able to open but I have been unable to open it and don't want to force it at this point. I have Googled many different phrases to see if I could find a picture of something similar and no luck.

My E-TRAC was screaming on it. ha ha. I just had to dig it. Any clue?????? downsized_0912122226a.jpg downsized_0912122226.jpg 0912122226b.jpg

Upvote 0

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a little pill box. The green is the top. In better days the box split apart and opened on its own.

mrmackin

Aug 1, 2012
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe just a tiny bit of WD-40 sprayed in a cup, then a Q-tip dipped in the puddle and dabbed around the edge, let sit overnight. Next day, cover with a towel and tap gently, try to work it. Same towel setup, tap on edge, work it. No progress? Repeat all steps, let sit overnight. Proceed slowly, you've got all the time in the world...think how long it's waited for you to find it!:hello2:

Usually the value of the container is more than anything inside, if anything is even in it.:icon_thumright:

Last edited:
OP
OP
bethisa2j

bethisa2j

Sep 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mrmackin - thanks for the tip. I will get on that and keep you posted. :dontknow:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a two piece button to me.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
My guesses are either pill box, snuff box or a lady's rouge box. Women often wore rouge on their cheeks in 1940's & 1950's and probably earlier. The rouge boxes were nearly always smaller than the face powder boxes they also used. I like the green stone! Andi

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find. :icon_thumleft: It looks small for a makeup container, I would guess pillbox. :dontknow: Let us know if you get it open.

HH

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could be lip baum

OP
OP
bethisa2j

bethisa2j

Sep 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, Andi!! I think you may be right. The pattern seems to fit. Haven't found anything that looks exactly like it when I Goggle rouge tin box but a lot of similarities.

I will keep looking. I definitely believe it's makeup or lip balm related. Now to be patient about how long it takes to open. I am having a blast treasure hunting...it's like traveling through time. However, I am told that has been said already. Have a wonderful day everyone!!!

Interesting note is that this is the same park I found a 3 Merry Widows Tin. hmmmm??

:hello2:

Last edited:

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll go with snuff box, I have some Merry Widow tins to they are all over one Hill that I hunt, so I put a new name on that hill. lol

mjc_lakedweller

Nov 14, 2011
Kzoo County, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro,
Garrett ACE350,
Fisher CZ-20,
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking pill box. just by size and looks alone, be gentle whrn trying to open - mrmackin's advice is spot-on

OP
OP
bethisa2j

bethisa2j

Sep 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be cool!!! Starting the process tonight. :cool:

ace1968

May 21, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 3000, ATPro, Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll go with snuff box, I have some Merry Widow tins to they are all over one Hill that I hunt, so I put a new name on that hill. lol

LOL... I found a 3 Merry Widow too.... I thought there might be something inside the tin but it was jus dirt :(

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imma gwina say lip balm or pill tin.....................HH

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good score on the old tin...I'd say pill box also.....but then again if you found a 3 merry widows tin at the same site....maybe the rouge tin makes more sense....lol.....good luck on opening it up....

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
bethisa2j

bethisa2j

Sep 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not having any luck getting it open...feel like I will damage it if I force any harder. uggg.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bethisa2j,

Maybe try some wd40 or another non harsh lubricant and that should do the trick.....

Regards + HH

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread