Identifying Civil War pin

FamilyMan91

Dec 6, 2004
My inlaws have a civil war pin they gave my wife and me that came from my father-in-laws great-great-grandfather. I would like to identify the pin so I can update my geneology information about the relative. I have attached the photo of the pin. It measures about 1/2 inch across. The engraving on the back is indicated in the photo. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Over of the west coast, we don't see much Civil War memorobilia!

We also have a photo of the ancestor in his uniform.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PRO PATRIA ET GLORIA : Latin for " For Country and Glory" From a Yahoo search of "PRO PATRIA ET GLORIA" all I came up with was it was a March . I couldn't find anything on the F I or what appears to be SG in the center.<><> VERY INTRESTING SIDE NOTE. there was a Capt. Charles E. Brown, in the 50th. Regiment, who was recruited out of SCHUYLKILL COUNTY, PA.? <> And I just happend to Live in SCHUYLKILL COUNTY. PA. I may do a little more research on this tomorrow. I'll let you know what I found out. <> Of course I should Ask. Could this be the Same Chas. Brown ? in the 1881 History of the County, he is listed as a RE-INLISTED OFFICER (CPT.)? COMPANY C

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there was also a Chas. E Brown in the 33rd Illinois Regiment, Residence Unknown. on May 6, 1862, he wrote a 4 page letter to his brother from Big Black River, AR. BROWN'S REGIMENT then was serving in the Army of the West, the Letter mentions "the Brain Regiment" which may have been a reffrence to his own Unit. the letter is in the Connecticut Historical Society : MS Civil War Box II , letters

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N G ! now I see it. :) COOL !

OP
OP
F

FamilyMan91

Dec 6, 2004
Thank you for all the information you have given. I do see the similarities of my pin with the current pin of the New York 107th. Any idea what the engraved '6' is on the bottom of the pin?

I looked up what information we have on this relative. We have very little. I don't have any of his siblings, but I do know that he had three children at the time of the Civil War. The last child was born in NY just a few years before the war. So, this could place him in New York at the time the 7th New York Guard was formed. He was buried later in life in PA, so he could have re-enlisted later. I don't have any information on that though.

On the link of Charles Brown that Buckram indicated, there is a reference to the record location, M551 roll 16. I assume that this is a record stored in New York somewhere. I would love to try to get a copy of that record since it appears as though there might be a signature and other information that may be helpful.

Again, thanks for your help in identifying this pin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread