Identifying Key Dates and Coin Mint Marks

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been following alot of the threads on this forum for a while now and im curious as to how you guys know which coins and dates are more valuable than others.Beyond the obvious of course.How do you know certain mint marks on the same coin from a different mint is more valuable than another? Is there a book or certain website that can be used for referencing coins,or a site that would give me a boost in knowing what it is i should be looking for on a certain coin from a certain mint and time frame.Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,John

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I too am in awe of them. I would bet that it comes down to library research and reading, years of study and a great deal of hands on experience. Web site? There may be a couple, but somehow I don't think it's that easy or everybody could do it. Many of these men read and understand spanish and own the original documents such as diaries, ship's logs and written reports to the authorities. Those are the serious gold and silver coin seekers. The coin collectors own many of the samples talked about here. They have found or purchased rare coins and done similar intensive research to identify everything from wheats to dollars. In many cases their knowledge of coins goes back at least 300 years or more. This is a real treasure hunting site that many of us(me especially), feel really inadequate on. But look how much we are learning and you asking questions shows how serious you take it and want to learn. You asked a great question, they will answer it and I just hope that I'm right about what I just wrote.

OP
OP
LuckyThirteen08

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too am in awe of them. I would bet that it comes down to library research and reading, years of study and a great deal of hands on experience. Web site? There may be a couple, but somehow I don't think it's that easy or everybody could do it. Many of these men read and understand spanish and own the original documents such as diaries, ship's logs and written reports to the authorities. Those are the serious gold and silver coin seekers. The coin collectors own many of the samples talked about here. They have found or purchased rare coins and done similar intensive research to identify everything from wheats to dollars. In many cases their knowledge of coins goes back at least 300 years or more. This is a real treasure hunting site that many of us(me especially), feel really inadequate on. But look how much we are learning and you asking questions shows how serious you take it and want to learn. You asked a great question, they will answer it and I just hope that I'm right about what I just wrote.

I totally agree with you austin, Ive been taking notes about years and mint marks on dimes,pennies,quarters,etc when posted on Tnet and i have read some different searchs about coins on google but google eventually leads into a land of non sense when trying to research something that you arent familiar with.Someone will chime in on this eventually or hopefully point me in the right direction to begin on my own at least.

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
The best thing is to get the official red book. It will tell you what you want to know as far as price, grade, and mintage. The best tool though as far as value is to search eBay and look at completed listings. This will give you an "idea" as to what the market value of the coin is. One thing to always keep in mind is a "rare coin " is just that RARE! A lot of people are getting into collecting and it is a great thing. Me personally I feel as if it is best to have a knowledge of a lot of coins but to really pick one coin and study about it. Me personally I am a Lincoln cents Man. This is was the first U.S. coin to have "In GOD we trust." You can get the Redbook sometimes at book stores, flea market, and you local coin shop. If any of you need anymore help or have more questions please contact me.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
For both the novice and the seasoned numismatist, get a Redbook. Read through it, don't just use it as a value reference guide. There is a ton of information regarding grading and synopsis of history on each coin.

OP
OP
LuckyThirteen08

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welp,That answers that!! Redbook it is! Thanks guys. Is there any other books of reference that are popular in this hobby?

Thanks Again and HH

Last edited:
OP
OP
LuckyThirteen08

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a bit of info i found online that id like to share with any of the new guys like myself who may be looking for info on coins as well,Here are a few other things you can look at to add a little more knowledge to your arsenal...........(read the following)

Here is the scoop on what you need to know. First, the Red book is retail pricing what you should expect to pay. The Blue book is what the coin is worth at re-sell to a dealer or between two individuals. Again, Red book prices are higher than Blue book prices.

**Very Important** Dealers do not use the Red or Blue book they use the greysheet as a go to guide since pricing can go up or down past the published book. It does cost to buy the greysheet, but this guide give the general guideline for you to buy and sell your coins. Unless you really know what you are doing stay away from Raw ungraded coins. Their are a few third party grading services. PCGS and NGC are the big two and I prefer PCGS personally. You also have the Blue-sheet for sight unseen coins, the green sheet for currency to just name a few.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe IN GOD WE TRUST first coin was the 2 cent.

Swade2K

Aug 4, 2012
cosmic said:
I believe IN GOD WE TRUST first coin was the 2 cent.

I second that... I'm currently working on my 2 cent collection. Got a beautiful 1867 the other day

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dustywallen said:
The best thing is to get the official red book. It will tell you what you want to know as far as price, grade, and mintage. The best tool though as far as value is to search eBay and look at completed listings. This will give you an "idea" as to what the market value of the coin is. One thing to always keep in mind is a "rare coin " is just that RARE! A lot of people are getting into collecting and it is a great thing. Me personally I feel as if it is best to have a knowledge of a lot of coins but to really pick one coin and study about it. Me personally I am a Lincoln cents Man. This is was the first U.S. coin to have "In GOD we trust." You can get the Redbook sometimes at book stores, flea market, and you local coin shop. If any of you need anymore help or have more questions please contact me.

The Lincoln cent was the first coin that was not required by law to say in god we trust, but did anyway

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
There are several reference books that are used in the hobby, though their value will depend on what areas you want to specialize in.

The Red Book is used for US coins but there are several specialty references for certain areas (for example there are many books on Morgan dollars die varieties, and early large cents). But naturally the usefulness of specialty references will depend on what you are collecting, if your collection has only 1 or 2 Morgan dollars, spending $20 on a book of VAM varieties is unlikely to be useful to you, but if you collect many Morgan dollars such a reference would be incredibly valuable.

The Charlton catalog is used extensively in Canadian numismatics while the (Seaby)/Spinks Standard Catalogue of British Coins is used extensively in British numismatics.

Krause is a good basic reference for world coins but is very expensive (several hundred for the entire set) and is poor at specializing, for example, if you use Krause to price and identify British coins you will likely get much less accurate prices than using the Spinks catalog, but it is useful to know if the Egyptian coin you got in a large lot at an auction is worth $2, $20, or $200.

OP
OP
LuckyThirteen08

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several reference books that are used in the hobby, though their value will depend on what areas you want to specialize in.

The Red Book is used for US coins but there are several specialty references for certain areas (for example there are many books on Morgan dollars die varieties, and early large cents). But naturally the usefulness of specialty references will depend on what you are collecting, if your collection has only 1 or 2 Morgan dollars, spending $20 on a book of VAM varieties is unlikely to be useful to you, but if you collect many Morgan dollars such a reference would be incredibly valuable.

The Charlton catalog is used extensively in Canadian numismatics while the (Seaby)/Spinks Standard Catalogue of British Coins is used extensively in British numismatics.

Krause is a good basic reference for world coins but is very expensive (several hundred for the entire set) and is poor at specializing, for example, if you use Krause to price and identify British coins you will likely get much less accurate prices than using the Spinks catalog, but it is useful to know if the Egyptian coin you got in a large lot at an auction is worth $2, $20, or $200.

Thats the kind of info i like to read!! Thanks Alot!!

HH John

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Value may change, sometimes 'overnight' as when a hoard of 'rare' coins are found and added to the known 'population'. One easy source to see what coins have currently selling for is the 'Completed Listings' section of Ebay.
Don...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions