Identifying various metals....

bdhoward

Apr 27, 2011
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 1500/Minelab Safari
I am rather new to this great hobby and was wondering if anyone could offer me any info on how to determine various metal types. i/e copper, brass, alluminum, silver etc... I have found loads of non-ferrous metal but don't know how to sort it for recycling purposes. I dont wan't to mix brass with copper and dont want to mistake silver scrap for alluminum, tin or nickle etc. Can anyone offer any insight? Thanks, Bryan H. :hello2: :hello2:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
spartacus 53, neither will a magnet stick to any other conductive metal either. Ie.: not only will it not stick to aluminum, but it will also not stick to brass, copper, silver, etc... So the only thing a magnet is good for, is to discern steel/iron objects from non-steel/iron objects.

WAres

Apr 30, 2011
Puyallup, WA
You need a magnet and some kind of grinder, they do have test kits but if you don't know what your looking at it will be a waste of money. Aluminum is easy no magnet pull plus no spark. Steel, yellow sparks that star burst and highly magnetic. Nickle, red spark barely visible highly magnetic. Copper no spark, no pull, copper in color ( unless you have cu/Ni doubtful ). Brass no spark, sometimes slight pull, will be yellow to honey colored and can be silver coated just grind to tell if brass underneath.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread