IDing trigger found at civil war site. Free cannon ball fragment if solved

ColoradoLivin

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ID'ing trigger found at civil war site. Free cannon ball fragment if solved

I found what I believe is a trigger at an early civil war battle but I have had trouble trying to figure out what it is from. If someone can figure it out Ill send them a fragment of a cannon ball I also found at the battle FO FREE. Picture of fragment also shown. photo.JPG photo (2).JPG photo (1).JPG photo.JPG photo (2).JPG photo (1).JPG

OP
OP
C

ColoradoLivin

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may be right but the metal is very thin at the top and I have yet to find any lock mechanism of the known guns at the battle that are that thin or any locks for that matter.

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry I,m not looking in the right place but here is a modern (C.V.A. brand) that has similar design just to see if it's a trigger.
I would lean towards pistol on yours but guessing..

5875064034_2e9f99a22f_z.jpg .

Farthest right of this lock is a long stud that sticks out towards viewer. This is what plate part of trigger rises and pushes against when trigger is pressed rearward. It is soft enough usually to be able to bend to adjust during original build.
furries-05.png

This piece.
5875064034_2e9f99a22f_z.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

ColoradoLivin

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, that is a very similar design. I have found similar to that as well and I too think it is part of a pistol.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Springfield 1861 trigger looked like this:
img_1891.jpg

Enfield 1853
7006857_1.jpg

Those would be representative of the muskets. Yours may be a trigger from a single-shot pistol. They were pinned into the stock.

289816_01_45_caliber_derringer_pistol_640.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread