If anyone has advice on meteorites and where to authenticate?

sickadnb

May 30, 2015
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting a meteorite authenticated now is dang near impossible. All of the places that USED to do it, stopped, because they were getting burie d in "meteorwrongs", and just didn't have the time to separate them all out. However, if you don't mind giving up the potential meteorite completely, you might find a school (like a school of mines), that will - but, like I said, you won't get it back. With the right saw, and the right chemicals, you can cut a slice, and test it yourself. If you get a Widmanstatten pattern, you have a MUCH better chance of getting someone to take a look.

Mrs.O

Here is a list of places you used to be able to get them tested. I guarantee, a lot of these no longer do it, but you might find one or 2

METEORITE TESTING AND CLASSIFYING INSTITUTIONS

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is not a meteorite. Send a check for $29.99 to me..

OP
OP
S

sickadnb

May 30, 2015
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting a meteorite authenticated now is dang near impossible. All of the places that USED to do it, stopped, because they were getting burie d in "meteorwrongs", and just didn't have the time to separate them all out. However, if you don't mind giving up the potential meteorite completely, you might find a school (like a school of mines), that will - but, like I said, you won't get it back. With the right saw, and the right chemicals, you can cut a slice, and test it yourself. If you get a Widmanstatten pattern, you have a MUCH better chance of getting someone to take a look.

Mrs.O

Here is a list of places you used to be able to get them tested. I guarantee, a lot of these no longer do it, but you might find one or 2

METEORITE TESTING AND CLASSIFYING INSTITUTIONS

thank you soooo much for your advice and response i appreciate it to the fullest .. yeah it makes since im gonna try to get it cut this week and go from there

Jun 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Very good advice from mrs oroblanco...especially for "Iron-Nickel". Strange, but the Irons are the easiest to find, the actual Stonies, the hardest. By sight or detector? But, with the exception of very few, the Widmanstatten pattern should emerge with a "grinding and polishing, with a bit of nitric acid. Do Not contaminate specimens by using, oh say...the same small grinding disc on a new specimen. It may give a mainly stony a look of shiny metal. I'm no Pro, but I'm using some relatively cheap, but verified, for "Test hunts", and look. Where I live in No. Cali. - you can pick up "Hot" rocks all day long walking the dog.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread