If I had a nickel for every other time I dug a pulltab... oh wait - I do

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well today was a crazy day for me at the duck dookie den A.K.A. goose poo downs.
I had a 3 hour afternoon hunt and decided to check out the place I had previously gotten a buffalo nickel.

I decided to dig everything even remotely resembling a nickel sound or number.
The area I usually hunt (currently an impromptu soccer field) was still under water and two ducks actually flew in for a landing while I was hunting all around the perimeter. My first target turned out to be a Jefferson nickel and that set the tone for the whole 3 hours. Most of the time when I got a signal that could have been a nickel, it then would bounce and the numbers would change and then I would think it wasn't really a nickel. But I dug them anyways, and about every other one did turn out to be a nickel! Unfortunately all 11 nickels were 1970 or later. But it was fun and surprising when they kept popping up. The star and moon ring I got is stamped .925 inside so that was a nice change of pace.
I included all the pull tabs and beaver tails and can slaw just for comparison, and it was about a 2 to 1 ratio. Also got some deep barbed wire pieces, lots of mems, a clad quarter and 2 clad dimes.

Also included is a day before photo from a different location.
I got a couple of cool old buttons - no markings, the back of a pin, one wheat & mems.
The bullet has a hole drilled in it and something rattles inside it when shaken.
The end of the bullet has a 31 and a dot, below some letters which I think are F _ A - not sure if there was a center letter or not. It appears to never have been fired.

The tacks with numbers on them were from still another previous hunt where Clad the Impaler found a lucky plug and I got mosquito bites and tacks and some clad.

Attachments

• 06-10-10.jpg
    06-10-10.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 191
  • SterlingRing.jpg
    SterlingRing.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 06-09-10.jpg
    06-09-10.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 185

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Mayo, cool ring. What is the Nickel to pull-tab Ratio?? Good job digging anything that could be a Nickel.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Nice ratio.
Nah, just pulling your tab....

Gonna try to make it out this morning after the return to Dr. Acula's to see if we have some good wet weather sites this weekend!

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Holy low tones Batman! Nice score of nickels :thumbsup:

That's a nice training/dummy round you found.. they came that way from the mfg. crimped and drilled or just drilled.

Attachments

• M1CarbineDummyRounds-400.jpg
    M1CarbineDummyRounds-400.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 196
  • orig.jpg
    orig.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 157

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Nickelriffic day!!!

Hey, congrats on the nickels, silver ring and cool tacks... I think I just found my new Lotto Numbers! Heh heh.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Someone on the forum explained those tacks once before, but it was long ago and is lost in the Lowbatts mental catalogue somewhere beneath the last trip to Oshkosh.

I think they numbered utility poles with them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread