If it sounds to good

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
To have an E-Trac as a back up is a marvelous set up. Some people might only dream about one day owning either of those detectors, so you are very lucky. I reluctantly sold my E-Trac after I bought the Deus, not because I needed to, but because I felt like I wanted to pass it on to someone else for a great deal, who otherwise might not be able to afford it. Luckily it was to someone here in our online "community" who really wanted one.

You're starting to make me want to question keeping it, but I've already rationalized this decision. This was the first high-end detector for both my girlfriend and I, and we both learned much from it. She moved on to a Deus and I stuck with it for a bit, but it was what she learned on and I got back into the game with, if you don't count my aging and possibly-malfunctioning Tesoro Silver uMax from a decade ago. (A great machine in its own way to be honest, but a bit of a "gateway drug" for potential detectorists when you think about it.) Having read what you wrote, I feel a bit bad about putting something like this in reserve, but it's a nice feeling for two people to have a solid backup machine that's known and understood standing by in the trunk. As a bonus, I'd already purchased a Sunray X5 coil for it, and while I don't want to refer to it as the "trash detector," it may be the weapon of choice for that nasty stretch under bleachers and next to basketball courts. It's also the first high end machine that I spent any time with, so it may very well wind up as my go-to during our four summer months when the lighting is correct. At any rate, it will probably not spend the next twenty years in a closet gathering dust.

Buying the E-Trac stung. That's a story in itself, as it was meant to be a joint purchase between myself and my girlfriend, but then she wanted a Deus and I had to buy out her share so to speak. Going on to buy a Deus for myself stung some more. As I've learned from other things, buy once, cry once, right? If it's something that I enjoy, I'll go ahead and save up the money to buy it.

Your post hit on a lot of things I've been feeling about the Deus. It is evolutionary in the sense that it takes a big step forward from what everyone else is doing, and I hope that it influences other companies to spend some time in the lab rethinking their vision. Maybe its not deeper than anything else, even with its 11" coil, but it is very comparable to other top-tier models, especially with varying ground conditions. And its no secret that the Deus is one of the fastest setups on the market. Just today the snow finally melted from a section of my yard, and in that 10'x20' area that had been POUNDED by both my AT Pro and E-Trac, my Deus found 8 coins among the iron trash. I have the feeling that my Deus is going to be an absolute heavy hitter in all the areas I search. I just can't say enough about how awesome it is for a detector's ability to upgrade the OS (operating system) for free with a few mouse clicks. When other companies release new and improved software, you are required to purchase a whole new detector to take advantage of it. I cannot wait for spring to fully thaw this Michigan tundra, and allow me to really put this king of the ring to the test.

And there's this too. I'm not sorry for buying an E-Trac and I think that it's an excellent detector, but if I were to start over (in the sense of buying my first high end detector), I'd probably start with a Deus. XP didn't think of everything, but they thought about an awful lot, and some of what they thought about isn't being addressed by the other manufacturers. It represents the difference between simple improvement and actual innovation, and I'm hoping that the entire industry will benefit from this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread