If its not about archelogist then why this

Melissa Archibald

Nov 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's not about archelogist then why this

If they can metal detect on these lands for recreational purposes why can't we if it's not for profit?
The PIT Clearinghouse

The PIT Clearinghouse is managed by the SRI Foundation (SRIF) SRI Foundation, through a cooperative agreement with the US Forest Service. The foundation is located in Rio Rancho, New Mexico, The mission of SRIF is to advance historic preservation through education, training, and research. To meet these goals, SRIF has assembled a team of individuals with diverse backgrounds in historic preservation law and complicance, education and outreach, tribal issues, and archaeological and historical research. The Foundation's activities include continuing professional educational courses, public outreach , regulatory and compliance consulting, and research projects and overviews for a great variety of clients. Serving as the PIT Clearinghouse for the US Forest Service provides SRIF with a wonderful opportunity to fulfill its goals and commitment to public service.

The SRIF PIT Clearinghouse team consists of Matt Dawson, clearinghouse coordinator and project manager, and Stacey Chambliss, PIT volunteer services coordinator and webmaster, with support from other SRIF staff. If you call (800) 281-9176 or email the PIT Clearinghouse at [email protected], you will be in contact with Matt or Stacey, who will be more than happy to interact with you.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Melissa, 3 points about PIT:

a) I know it sounds fun and enticing to md'rs, right? I know it sounds like a love-relationship partnership between archies and md'rs, right?

b) However, it's as boring as heck (for most of anything they put together). It's not at all what you think (some sort of "carte-blanche" at virgin ghost towns, etc..). You will, at best, flag each signal with a little flag. The archies then come over to do a laborious dig with tweezers and brushes. Blah blah blah.

c) In reading their material, and/or talking to these people, well OF COURSE you're going to hear "dire sounding" things about metal detecting outside their parameters. Ie.: their "take" on laws/rules as they pertain to public land, etc... But go figure: You're talking to purist archies. Doh! So it would be little like talking to a PETA animal rights wacko about leaving your pet bunny in the car while you run into 7-11 to get a soda. The PETA rep. is going to shriek: "NNNEEOOO, that's animal cruelty, you can be arrested, the bunny can suffocate, your car can be confiscated!" etc.. But go figure: what did you expect to come from them? So too do I put little stock into what some archies say or claim.

I once got to "help" an archaeologist, at an old china-town village site here in CA. It was a site where the Chinese had been burned out at the turn-of the century. And had ever since, been a modern boat-works yard, with a few commercial buildings in use even up to modern times. The archie already had a few square pits going. Which take them weeks to dig, a fraction of an inch at a time. While they write paragraphs and study every single shard, nail, bone, etc... that they find. So I got started with my detector, showing the archie a myriad of signals all through the terrain. And since it was still trodden over in modern times, I could immediately discern "pulltab" and "zinc penny" and so forth. I honed in on a zinc signal penny, showing the archie the TID, the depth, the sound, etc... Explaining, "here's a zinc penny". And as I stopped to pop it out with my screwdriver, he stopped me. He placed a little flag there. Took a GPS reading, etc... Then a foot away, I explained "here's a pulltab", and got ready to extract it to show him. But again, he stops me, and goes through his process to "dig later". IMMEDIATELY I could tell this was going to be a major waste of time.

Not saying every last one dis-allows you to use conventional methods (of digging up the durned target!). But just saying, don't get your hopes up too much, as it's not at all standard detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions