If money is not the problem which Minelab would you buy

Africa

Apr 27, 2008
Queenstown South Africa
Hello all (my friends) as some of you might have already read in my various articles and topics, that I already have a Sovereign GT Machine, I have been using this machine for about three years now, when I bought it, I even bought a few extra spares to go with it as well and also a few spare battery packs as well, the whole lot cost me round about R12 000.00 not sure what this is in $$$$$$$$$$$$, however while out hunting today, I was thinking about the brochure's that I had received last week from Minelab that I had requested from them and if the newer machines that are now on the market are they in fact better than my Sovereign GT?

And if so what would a newer machine do for me compared to what this machine does for me now?

SAFARI
X-TERRA
COMMANDER
MUSKETEER ADVENTURE
E-TRAC
GPX-4500
EXPLORE SE PROFESSIONAL
EXCALIBUR 11

Listed above are the catalogues of the various machines that I received. I do not really have an interest of underwater searching, (too many sharks in the sea waters around South Africa) and cannot swim that great anyway.

I see that we now have a dealer in Cape Town as well here in South Africa, will also contact him as well, but I need to know this info from You, from the people who actually use these machines.

This GT that I have been using, when you get a hit, and you dig under the centre of the coil, everytime the hidden item is found right in that place, this is a superb machine to use, the battery pack does get a little heavy after a while, still wanted to put it on a belt over the front of my chect, but just have not got around to doing that yet.

If I was to replace this GT, do you know how much it would be worth to sell or do you think that Minelab would trade it in on a new machine?

Thankyou to everybody in advance for your replys.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Started with an Explorer XS and still use one because I think it's still the best Minelab offers for my type of detecting. (I'd gladly buy an SE or E-trac if I thought it was better)

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• sp_silver.jpg
    sp_silver.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 601
  • sp_silver.jpg
    sp_silver.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 604
OP
OP
Africa

Africa

Apr 27, 2008
Queenstown South Africa
Thank's for the replys so far, tell me that pic of the guy with the old gun, is this a pic of you, if so or whatever what gun is in the pic, is it yours?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Africa said:
Thank's for the replys so far, tell me that pic of the guy with the old gun, is this a pic of you, if so or whatever what gun is in the pic, is it yours?

No that's just a photoshop picture for fun. He is much better looking than I am. :D

OP
OP
Africa

Africa

Apr 27, 2008
Queenstown South Africa
Oh what a shame, the reason why I asked is because I have an interest in these old black powder guns, always looking to buy some more, but they have to be the genuine ones, my oldest black powder gun is dated 1750.

Busy uploading pic;s of the items that I found while out hunting today, will post them in todays finds and also have a few interesting items that I am not sure what they are, we are lucky where we live, we have all these Boer War places to visit that are very close by, round about at the most 80km from my house one way, the closest is only about 60km thus not too far to travel, but well worth the effort and search, today I was very luckt to find a piece of shapnal from a 15 pond cannon and this piece of metal even says 15 at the base of this peice of metal.

Chat again, all the best to you. Oh just for interest, where do you live (area) the copins that you showed me are fantastic, do you find many of them? Can always swop you some stuff that I find here if you are interested.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Monies not the problem with Minelab, customer service is. I like Tessoro for that. But then I also like my Nauti boy IIB As well, and customer service is a secondary consideration with it. :tard: ::)

gibsondan

Nov 15, 2008
I recently bought an E-trac. This past Saturday I pulled silver out of a so-called "hunted out" park. So far it has outperformed every other detector I have owned for coinshooting. My other detectors were not Minelabs, by the way. In my opinion you can't go wrong with an E-trac or an Explorer. They are top of the line Minelabs. Obviously I chose the E-trac. Based on my experiences so far, I highly recommend it.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello friend. First, I'm sorry but minelab does not take trade ins. You'll have to sell yours independently. But, I'm sorry to say that, you most likely will not get what you want for it. If you are still finding good things, why replace it? Many folks think that by buying the higher end models they get a magic wand. Not the case. I dont care how much or how good any one claims that their machine is you still have to dig the pulltabs! If I can help in any way, let me or your local dealer know. We are here to help you! mike

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Well it's all about the hunter and how they are going to use their detector... obviously for someone like you, you should go with the Safari, being in Africa and all :) HAHAHAHA!

Now that that's done...

Do you primarily think you will be looking for gold nuggets?

If so, I think I would go with the GPX-4500. Even though it doesn't have discrimination... I believe it's not going to matter too much because you shouldn't have much trash where you are digging. You might have hot rocks and highly mineralized rocks that you'll be digging, maybe even some meteorites. But it should get all of the gold too!

I dunno though, you might actually do pretty well with just an Xterra 705 (brand new).

Brett

OP
OP
Africa

Africa

Apr 27, 2008
Queenstown South Africa
:thumbsup: Hello all My Friends, I have bought a new machine, after chatting to The Minelab supplier down in Cape Town, who has a vast amount of knowledge (he actually has a passion towards metal detecting and goes out each week to hunt) I decided for my inland hunting on battle fields etc, I bought a brand new X-Terra 30, this is basically the entry level 300 series machine, but it can do the same as a more expensive machine like the X-Terra 50, but because I already have The Sovereign GT which I will be keeping for beach and such hunting, can also be used inland, at least if one of my mates comes along with me or "her" we can both hunt together.

I have also ordered a brand new pair of Minelab earphones to go with the machine and I am very excited about it, it is arriving this week.

The difference between the Sovereign GT and this new machine is that the Sovereign is Anologue and the new machine is digital, with four AA batteries the X-Terra will last for 35 Hours.

Thankyou once again to everybodies input on this topic and enjoy whatever machine you use.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread