If sound can be linked to a color, isn't there a way to put that on the screen?

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been thinking about this for a while. If you could link the sound silver (all the metals)to a color. And have colors to aid in detecting I think it would sure help. Maybe this has been covered before, maybe it's just to expensive now.
Bluetooth the color to some cool sunglasses or have it on the screen, or even have your coil light up.
It seems like virtual reality might be able to play a part. I'm kinda thinking of the maticore with 3d and color. Thanks for any thoughts on this, it would be awesome if it made anyone some money!!

99thpercentile

Nov 2, 2006
Evergreen, CO
Detector(s) used
Geonics EM61-MK2, Geophex GEM-3, GapEOD UltraTEM III, Minelabs F3, Foerster MINEX 2FD 4.500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This wouln't be 3D, it would be 2D as a map with values at each map location. This is what all geophysical instruments do, and have done for more than 20 years. We call it digital geophysical mapping (DGM). The instrument response is recorded simultaneously with the positioning information. We then clean up the data and generate maps like this. One map is from a Geonics EM61-MK2 metal detector and the other is from a Geonics EM38-MK2 terrain conductivity meter.

The only metal detector that can do this that I know of is the CEIA CMD series. I have a CEIA CMD with a GPS module as well as a CEIA CMD Countermine model that has integrated GPS in the sensor head. I have attached on example figure of a few loops around my house to show the output. It is much lower quality than either of the Geonics outputs mainly due to the fact that it only outputs data at 1 Hz instead of 5, 10, 18 Hz like the Geonics instruments can.

Attachments

• 2022-11-27 16_21_18-Google Earth Pro.png
    2022-11-27 16_21_18-Google Earth Pro.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • Entire_ERDC_UXO_Test_Site_Map.jpg
    Entire_ERDC_UXO_Test_Site_Map.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 7
  • CEIA CMD Countermine Map Home.png
    CEIA CMD Countermine Map Home.png
    752.6 KB · Views: 8

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This wouln't be 3D, it would be 2D as a map with values at each map location. This is what all geophysical instruments do, and have done for more than 20 years. We call it digital geophysical mapping (DGM). The instrument response is recorded simultaneously with the positioning information. We then clean up the data and generate maps like this. One map is from a Geonics EM61-MK2 metal detector and the other is from a Geonics EM38-MK2 terrain conductivity meter.

The only metal detector that can do this that I know of is the CEIA CMD series. I have a CEIA CMD with a GPS module as well as a CEIA CMD Countermine model that has integrated GPS in the sensor head. I have attached on example figure of a few loops around my house to show the output. It is much lower quality than either of the Geonics outputs mainly due to the fact that it only outputs data at 1 Hz instead of 5, 10, 18 Hz like the Geonics instruments can.
I see that the prices are noticeably absent on those page... I can't imagine prices for those things.. $20,000-$30,000 ?

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been thinking about this for a while. If you could link the sound silver (all the metals)to a color. And have colors to aid in detecting I think it would sure help. Maybe this has been covered before, maybe it's just to expensive now.
Bluetooth the color to some cool sunglasses or have it on the screen, or even have your coil light up.
It seems like virtual reality might be able to play a part. I'm kinda thinking of the maticore with 3d and color. Thanks for any thoughts on this, it would be awesome if it made anyone some money!!
My opinion is that you would be doing the same thing with color, that they are already doing with numbers... I don't know a machine that can tell you a pull-tab from a gold ring, and I think you believe that adding colors to the system might do that.. I won't, you would just see the same color for a pull-tab as you do for gold, as they are conductively similar... then it might be More difficult to distinguish things, not less.. just my 2 cents...

99thpercentile

Nov 2, 2006
Evergreen, CO
Detector(s) used
Geonics EM61-MK2, Geophex GEM-3, GapEOD UltraTEM III, Minelabs F3, Foerster MINEX 2FD 4.500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, here are some approximate numbers on prices.

Geonics EM61-MK2 ~$40,000 USD
Geonics EM38-MK2 ~$20,000 USD
Juniper Systems Mesa 3 tablet computer ~$3000 USD
Geomar RT-Map61MK2 software ~$3000
Geomar RT-Map38MK2 software ~$3000
EMLID Reach RS2+ RTK GNSS receiver base & rover plus accessories ~$$7,000 USD
PetRos EiKon QCTool Software ~$500 USD

Telling you what the target is is not particularly difficult. The process is called geophysical inverse theory. As long as the instrument can collect data of sufficient quality, then you can determine what the target is.

For example, if you were looking for unexploded ordnance (UXO) the current approach is called advanced geophysical classification (AGC). There are currently about 13 companies that have received accreditation to do this on DoD sites. There are three or four instruments available that can be used for this approach.

GapEOD UltraTEM iV
White River Technology OPTEMA
Geometrics MetalMapper
NRL TEMTAD

With these instruments you can process the data to do the standard approach:

Detection - find every metallic target in the ground
Discrimination - sort every target into UXO or non-UXO
Classification - determine the exact depth and orientation of every UXO object

But for small, compact targets like most hobbiest metal detectors are looking, the Geophex GEM-3 could do real-time inversion of a range of targets from rings to soda cans. It is similar to a hand held hobbiest metal detector, but it is a real geophysical instrument that costs about ~$20,000.

All of these instruments are also available for rent from companies like Exploration Instruments.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you could link the sound silver (all the metals)to a color.
The White's V3 could do this. Each VDI number (roughly every 1° of target phase) could be custom-correlated to a color on the spectrum plot. Here is an example:

1697489731305.png

Iron and zinc cents are red; nickels are green; foil and pulltabs (or jewelry, if you prefer) are yellow, and silver is blue. The above response is heavily correlated (all 3 frequencies) at high silver, and it IDs as a quarter. Again, you could program every VDI to be a different color if you like, but the colors would blend.

This looks cool but doesn't offer a whole lot more than what tone ID can do, unless you can't hear. What Ryan shows is a whole lot more useful, but is tailored for gridded surveys. You could, for example, datalog the amplitude & phase from a metal detector and colorize the map based on phase with amplitude represented in a surface contour. Once upon a time we did this with the White's V3, as it has a UART port in the display pod that could spit out raw data. But in every day coin hunting you wouldn't do this.

99thpercentile

Nov 2, 2006
Evergreen, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Geophex GEM-3 with locator bar is probably the closest to what most hobbyist metal detectors would envision.

Using the locator bar on the ground, a real time map of the data can be generated.. The operator could then hover the sensor over a target of interest and if there is a signature in the data library for that type of target it would show you what it is.

I haven’t used one of these in almost 20 years so I’m not sure if they have made any improvements.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread