if the average depth of a find is only 6 inchs why spend big $$$$

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That is the average depths that a coin is found. That means that most people cant get below 6 inches. Many detectors are not very strong, or just cant get very deep, like many VLFs. Most PIs will go very deep. But it could be the user. I see many people swinging the coil like a sickle, in a wide U shape. At the closest, they are 6 inches from the ground, at the end they are over a foot off the ground. Sometimes it is the user, not the machine. Or they just need to listen closer to the thresh hold going up slightly, or go slower, or really overlap the swings. There are some deeper obviously. So use a larger coil /or a more powerful detector and go deeper.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Why not?

Attachments

• DEEP.JPG
    DEEP.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 610

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you are only intersted in finding clad or newer coins then you will be very happy with a lower end machine as most won't be deeper than 6". BUT if you are like most people and want to find older coins and relics then you are going to need a machine that will reach those depths. I don't know what you mean my big $$$ but $400 and up will get you a very nice deep finding machine. I have found Indian Head pennies 10" and deeper that the cheaper machines would never have found. A lot of people start out by getting a lower end machine then invest in a better machine as they get more experienced in hunting.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
treasurehound said:
If you are only intersted in finding clad or newer coins then you will be very happy with a lower end machine as most won't be deeper than 6". BUT if you are like most people and want to find older coins and relics then you are going to need a machine that will reach those depths. I don't know what you mean my big $$$ but $400 and up will get you a very nice deep finding machine. I have found Indian Head pennies 10" and deeper that the cheaper machines would never have found. A lot of people start out by getting a lower end machine then invest in a better machine as they get more experienced in hunting.

Dont forget, a big coil on a "low end" machine goes deeper than a small coil on a "high end" machine.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Big coil on a low end machine goes deeper than a small coil on a high end machine" ???

Thats just about the opposite of what I've found. Big picks up more mineralisation, has more targets under it at one time offsetting meter or tone I.D., picks up more E.M.I. and most still lose sensitivity as the diameter increases.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bells & Whistles!

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See why people can't find much. Low end detectors have no ground balance. With no ground balance you can't get the best out of any coil (larger or smaller) unless you open up the detector and adjust the internal trimmer. Then if you swap back to your original coil thats now no longer optimised until you go through the internal adjustment procedure.

After you have done that a few times the trimmer, that is not manufacturered to take to much adjusting, starts to wear out.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I like the smaller coils - as I have found them much easier to use, and much easier to pinpoint, and, I've gotten object WAY deeper than 6 inches. (as in, deeper than the length of my shovel).

However, it is a personal choice, and many buy one of each - one small and one large.

Here is a great site for understanding coils.

http://www.mdhtalk.org/tutorials/coils/md-searchcoils-.pdf

Good hunting!

Beth

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re:
if the average depth of a find is only 6 inchs why spend big $$$$

So you only want to find "Average finds" ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread