Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
KNOCK IT OFF!
BEFORE YOU RUIN IT FOR EVERYONE ELSE!

I put up my detector and walked the park filling in your holes today.

These holes are at least a foot across.
downsize1.jpg
downsize.jpg

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friend, You need to post this in the Ohio section as well and list the city and park name if this is to have some good effect on some errant individual...just my recommendation. :thumbsup:

NoNeck

Aug 31, 2010
Wichita Falls, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Ace 250, Garrett PP, Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree.

KNOCK IT OFF!

Thanks to you for filling them in. :thumbsup:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree you should post this in the Ohio forum. Let us know where this if happening at so if is close to my home town I can watch out for this problem also. I just don't understand why someone is still detecting in the parks when thy war so dry still. We have not had enough rain yet to be digging in public places yet. You start digging in pubic place and leave it looking like that the towns with start posting no detecting sign up. Then other will see what is happening to the area and they will not give permission to detect there properties......Matt

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is brutal! So bad in fact in that position I would almost consider eventually bringing it to the park authority's attention.... if you are sure it's going to get seen. I definitely wouldn't do it without a lot of thinking, but if it keeps up you are going to be done anyway. I hunt fields so never been in that position, and curious to hear what others would do.

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
I think I'd try and catch the bugger in the act and learn him a little. If it's an experienced detectorist, wring his neck. If it's a new person, educate. Just hate to see this. Makes me mad, sorry.

OP
OP
Coin Digger

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mlayers I see we both live in the same area.

I found these holes in Montpelier's Park.
I decided to go do a little hunting Sunday morning because we finally got some rain on Saturday, that's when I found those holes.
I have a pretty good idea who done it, not 100%. I don't know them but I know they drive a PT Cruiser with Indiana plates.
It was on Thursday on my way to work (afternoon shift) I saw an out of state vehicle with Indiana plates parked in the parking lot. I could see some guy swinging his detector like a golf club at the park.

ddbowdoin

Aug 30, 2010
Boston, MA
19Blockhead64 said:
KNOCK IT OFF!

These holes are at least a foot across.
downsize1.jpg
downsize.jpg

I literally just got my first detector this weekend and I have been digging holes that big but they are in the middle of nowhere wooded areas, I also make sure to pack down the earth as much as possible. I would never leave something like that as a public park where people enjoy the surroundings + ruin it for other detectorists

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm meticulous about putting my plugs back with very little evidence that anyone was digging. Although on at least two occasions I've returned to the park the next day and found many of my plugs pulled out laying right next to the hole. It was quite a mess. I discovered that stray dogs had picked up a scent around the plugs and dug up many of my plugs! I spent a good 20 minutes fixing the mess!

SirJoey

Aug 9, 2010
Aboard a UFO, hovering over South Carolina...
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 5 ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
19Blockhead64 said:
KNOCK IT OFF!

Some idiot, obviously, or maybe just some moron that doesn't give a crap.
Pretty bad when U have to cover for some buffoon like that.
Either way, thanx for being a standup guy, & filling 'em in, Blockhead. YOU are a credit to our hobby! :thumbsup:

The Lord Is My Shepherd!
sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bad news sorry to see that. I had permission on a farm where I had researched where a cw camp was. The landowner called me raising heck. He said there were open holes all over his field... I had not even hunted it yet. He said no more metal detecting on his lands. Found out the guys made some cover of a metal detecting magazine. They were in the south east corner of Tennessee.
It hurts everyone when people get greedy for 2 seconds of glory.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TnMountains said:
Bad news sorry to see that. I had permission on a farm where I had researched where a cw camp was. The landowner called me raising heck. He said there were open holes all over his field... I had not even hunted it yet. He said no more metal detecting on his lands. Found out the guys made some cover of a metal detecting magazine. They were in the south east corner of Tennessee.
South east corner? Well that's not too far from us.

They made the front cover AND managed to get the land shut down for others. Good job guys!
Good grief.

Richard, what magazine exactly did they make the cover of?

I think we should post that issue here.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I am missing something here, but I have NEVER dug a hole that big... Is that "Relic" hunting, because I cant imagine someone being that bad at pinpointing a coin that they would have to dig a hole that big..
My plugs are no more than 5" in diameter, and after I retrieve the item, replace the plug, and "smooth" things out a bit, it would take a trained eye to even see where I dug...
That guy is an idiot as well as an ass, imho..

OP
OP
Coin Digger

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I scanned the one hole and it was giving off a large signal. What ever it was he either left it or couldn't dig deep enough to find it. I figure it was either a aluminum can or large rusted iron. His other holes where M/T. It was obvious the person was using a shovel of some type.
Whenever I come across a large target like that in a park I keep going because I doubt if it's a cache.

L

LandStar

TnMountains said:

I would have called or written the editor of the mag and gave them the true lowdown on the story...

HH,

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm the most interesting man in the wold.... when I get dun filling in my holes the rest of the lawn looks bad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread