If this isnt Iron Slag or a Meteorite... then what is this?

20dollarcoins

Tenderfoot
Apr 13, 2016
Lancaster, PA
Detector(s) used
i have a decent basic one that i paid $40 for from a friend. i dont detect much, more of a hobby. i find lots of weird iron objects often here in colonial Lancaster, PA.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If this isn't Iron Slag or a Meteorite... then what is this?

been stumping me for the past few days... i found this odd object in my back yard... now my soil is very known to contain Limonite (goethite after pyrite pseudomorphs, an iron ore) and its known to contain iron artifacts that i find often here from the 1700's and the 1800's (i'm in Lancaster, PA, most of the American made revolutionary war rifles were made here, along with the infamous conestoga wagon).

so when i found this odd looking object... the holes in it didnt appear to me to make it a meteorite at all. but the weight of it is so light... that it doesn't feel like an iron ore or iron slag that i've found from around here. i kind of got worried for a minute that it was a bug nest or piece of an animals bone that dissolved in the rain over time. so i just had to take the saw out and find out once and for all....

so i shaved down one side creating a window into the object...

it's metal... and i don't know what kind of metal... its literally 100% weight-less (it weighs less then a half of a gram). its has tons of little holes inside and outside of it. half of the entire object was melted so theres no holes on one side. then one side of the exposed metal had a "blueish" tint to it.

what the heck did i find? if its not a meteorite and not iron slag? ...then what is it? lol

meteorite or slag2.jpeg meteorite or slag1.jpeg meteorite or slag3 cut.jpeg meteorite or slag4.jpeg meteorite or slag5 metal.jpeg meteorite or slag6 size.jpeg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe iron coke?

OP
OP
20dollarcoins

20dollarcoins

Tenderfoot
Apr 13, 2016
Lancaster, PA
Detector(s) used
i have a decent basic one that i paid $40 for from a friend. i dont detect much, more of a hobby. i find lots of weird iron objects often here in colonial Lancaster, PA.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
by the way. the object is NOT magnetic at all. virtually no wieght at all. not lead, appears to be iron, but again the weight issue. i have no idea. maybe u all got some advice

OP
OP
20dollarcoins

20dollarcoins

Tenderfoot
Apr 13, 2016
Lancaster, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
what was that used for? i never heard of it. is iron coke magnetic? this object isn't at all

OP
OP
20dollarcoins

20dollarcoins

Tenderfoot
Apr 13, 2016
Lancaster, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i appreciate all replies. thanks

Art_Blade

Jun 25, 2014
Warsaw
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Teknetics Omega 8000
White's VX3, V3i
DeTech SSP-2000PI, Garrett pinponter, Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like slag or scoria, type of volcanic basalt but isn't meteorite

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You live in colonial PA and don't metal detect? Your missing out on some good times. Oh looks like lava rock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread