ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: If you are afraid of snakes don't look

uh left to themselves and with a steady food supply --- some snakes can get HUGE*

6 to 7 foot rattlers are common here in my parts -- my north florida area where I live is mostly rural pine plantation type (pulp wooding) area --thus theres lots of woods and many many very large rattle snakes --- boas and other mega large "imported type" super snakes -- will grow as big as their food supply allows them to in a good food supply swamp --that can be HUGE indeed.

FOLKS OFTEN FIND IT HARD TO BELIEVE WHAT MOTHER NATURE CAN WHIP UP WHEN THE CONDITIONS ARE JUST RIGHT * -- having gone to sea for almost 30 years and with 75% of the worlds area being saltwater ( times it's depth as a bonus--since things in the sea live ar various depths) --- think of the strangest things you've seen in your life on land--now multiply them by 3 (25% land vs 75% sea surface area ) and times that by the oceans depths ( 100's of times) -- and you get some ideal of what crazy things are "out there"

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

That snake is lucky, if I saw him cruising down the road he would end up on the drying rack in no time flat!
New snake skin boots here I come! :laughing7: :laughing7:

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis said:
uh left to themselves and with a steady food supply --- some snakes can get HUGE*

6 to 7 foot rattlers are common here in my parts -- my north florida area where I live is mostly rural pine plantation type (pulp wooding) area --thus theres lots of woods and many many very large rattle snakes --- boas and other mega large "imported type" super snakes -- will grow as big as their food supply allows them to in a good food supply swamp --that can be HUGE indeed.

FOLKS OFTEN FIND IT HARD TO BELIEVE WHAT MOTHER NATURE CAN WHIP UP WHEN THE CONDITIONS ARE JUST RIGHT * -- having gone to sea for almost 30 years and with 75% of the worlds area being saltwater ( times it's depth as a bonus--since things in the sea live ar various depths) --- think of the strangest things you've seen in your life on land--now multiply them by 3 (25% land vs 75% sea surface area ) and times that by the oceans depths ( 100's of times) -- and you get some ideal of what crazy things are "out there"

I have to agree with you, as reptiles never quit growing and will grow until they die. Where I grew up in Texas a copper head 2 foot long was a big one. Here in TN where I live now I know of guys killing them up to 6 feet long. Not sure what kind of snake this is but to me it does not have the right shaped head to be poison. Very impressive though, Tim

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As far as the size...the fence is in the background and the picture is taken at a slight angle so it is a bit tricky trying to estimate length using that fence post technique. All that being said, my estimate is 16 to 18 feet long...which would definitely make it an exceptional specimen. Wish we had a herpetologist on here for a definitive identification...is there a PhD in the house? :help:

Never one around when ya need em :tongue3:

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo

Photoshopped, chopshopped, real or whatever. In may area of rual Florida, that thing would end up on the wrong (or right end, depending on how you look at it) of a 12 Ga.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

snake the other "other" white meat. ;D --- rattlesnake tastes like chicken

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis said:
snake the other "other" white meat. ;D --- rattlesnake tastes like chicken
You must be getting them "farm raised" snakes, from Thailand, dude.
Snake taste like snake, imo. yumyumyum

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

nah the rattlers round here learn to live around the huge mega farm type chicken houses in my rural county --the rats eat dead chickens culled from the chicken houses * the rattlers then eat the rats == so the snakes wind up tasting like chicken fer some reason. --- :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis said:
nah the rattlers round here learn to live around the huge mega farm type chicken houses in my rural county --the rats eat dead chickens culled from the chicken houses * the rattlers then eat the rats == so the snakes wind up tasting like chicken fer some reason. --- :icon_scratch: :dontknow:
Ok, I follow, that's why we clean the hogs and catfish out........... ::)
The pictures of them catfish, swimming in tupperware, in the fridge, for days, will never leave my mind. ;D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

they say you are what you eat -- humm fried catfish , bbq pork and rattler --- makes me a dangerous fishy smelling pig?

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis said:
they say you are what you eat -- humm fried catfish , bbq pork and rattler --- makes me a slippery fishy pig?
If the swim fin fits............ :fish: :snorting: ~~~~~~

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

a big upright walking boar with vemon filled tusk that reeks like old dead fish -- now thats a scary genetic "cross breed"--sounds like the star of a B grade horror flick

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis said:
a big boar with vemon filled tusk that reeks like old dead fish -- now thats a scary genetic "cross breed"
That's why ya don't clean ya food, with genetically modified corn or meal! ;D

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thinkin its a Black snake well. Cool picture.

bgriffin

Jan 2, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350

I grew up in South Carolina. Once while driving on a small country road, I saw a black indigo, "black racer", crossing the road and it reach all the way across the road. It had to be at least 12+ feet .

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pat-tekker-cat said:
I got a video of a honey badger, put them snakes to shame.
But it's got a little foul language in it, so probably not best to show.
Guess we gotta stick to snakes.

That video is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.
He's kinda like the bald headed guy in "Airplane", who would just pop up and interject some wisecrack.
Love that video!
Carl

Lost2Much

Apr 29, 2011
South Pa.
Detector(s) used
MXT XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I can't get any readings or tones from little ole Garter Snakes, I'd bet the MXT would go nuts with this BIG Boy!

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions