if you believe in ghosts

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Eh, all of what gets chalked up to ghosts and spooks and paranormal has Perfectly benign & non-paranormal explanations.
I guess I'm trying to say that only the physical here-&-now is "all there is".

Ok, sure, then we're just "meat all the way down", eh ? Thus everything we see/feel/do/think is utterly the result of "survival of the fittest". Even our sense of morality is merely what-best gets our genes into the next generation. Ie.: Morality is "subject" and "relative" to survival . Right ? After all Carl : Those are the only ingredients you have to draw from. Ok ?

Hence do tell us: Is morality strictly subjective and relative to societies, culture, and evolution ? Or is morality somehow objective (ie.: outside of what any individuals or societies or cultures think).

Eg.: Is rape always wrong ? And if you say "yes it's always wrong", then do you mean that subjectively (ie.: it's just your current society's preference), or do you mean that it's wrong objectively ? (wrong no matter what individual societies and cultures say).

Remember when you go to answer this : We're just meat all the way down.

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got one interesting thing that happened. At my grandparents they have this old building that was brought in from elsewhere that dates back to the 1800s that they for about 30 years used as a drapery shop that I now use as a gym. But one time it was all locked up and dark in the building and me and my younger brother were being dumb and knocked on a side door 3 times. A couple seconds later got 3 responding knocks from the inside. There was no one in there the building was completely locked me and my brothers had even checked to confirm all was locked and there was no way someone was in there. I tried to go back later and debunk it but couldn't find or explain how that could of happened. To this day I have no idea what caused that.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got one interesting thing that happened. At my grandparents they have this old building that was brought in from elsewhere that dates back to the 1800s that they for about 30 years used as a drapery shop that I now use as a gym. But one time it was all locked up and dark in the building and me and my younger brother were being dumb and knocked on a side door 3 times. A couple seconds later got 3 responding knocks from the inside. There was no one in there the building was completely locked me and my brothers had even checked to confirm all was locked and there was no way someone was in there. I tried to go back later and debunk it but couldn't find or explain how that could of happened. To this day I have no idea what caused that.
As per Charlie Daniels,"Some things in this world you just can,t explain"!

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pucker Factor-reference to a certain orifice tightening up when one is confronted with an eerie or scary situation,reaction to being weirded out.:laughing7:
:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:
Lol yes I know what it means, I think you just wanted an excuse to explain in that in greater detail lol.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol yes I know what it means, I think you just wanted an excuse to explain in that in greater detail lol.
Here,s an explanation as a Southern good ole boy would put it."Last night when me and Bubba went over the high side of the levee and rolled 3 times the pucker factor was so high I chewed a hole in the seat".

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here,s an explanation as a Southern good ole boy would put it."Last night when me and Bubba went over the high side of the levee and rolled 3 times the pucker factor was so high I chewed a hole in the seat".
Lol glad I could provide you a source of entertaining yourself Crash

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the fact the Camera is Inside a Vehicle & Videoing through a Reflective windshield,
There is a Possibility of it catching almost anything from almost any angle.
That and Being Skeptic Prevents me from Believing.
But Definitely a fun video.
My eye Sight Could see Legs Running for a Half a Second.
but eye sight can be misleading on something that quick.
I don't believe he rigged it. I do think he may be convinced it's ghosts,
unless he just passed some kids or joggers
It looks pretty rigged to me. I believe you can desaturate people images frame by frame. It isn't that difficult to fake as an Artist myself. I am guessing it is a 12-14 year old.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This happened to me years ago when I was about 8 years old. I was helping one of my cousins do custodial work at his church where most of my Mother's side of the family attended. It was an older Methodist church which had the sanctuary and some smaller Sunday School rooms located next door to the sanctuary. The rooms were located in a hallway, and off this hallway was the Recreational room which was a pretty good size room where functions were held. There was a nice sized kitchen where meals were prepared and there were tables and chairs in the room. On one end of the room there was an old Coke machine and next to it there was always a cane bottom seated chair. There was an older couple who attended the church for years and were faithful members who were said to be in church nearly every time the doors opened. The couple lived a short distance behind the church and usually walked to services. Everyone said that they had a beaten path to the church from their home from heavy travel. Sadly, the wife had passed leaving her husband a widower. The gentleman remained a faithful member until his death a few years later. My aunt's and uncles used to say that members would sometimes see the gentleman in the Recreation Room, but this was sometimes after his death. He would mostly be seen when members would unlock and enter the Rec room to prepare for a function. I never discussed this with anyone, and myself had never experienced anything related to this. I had never met this older gentleman and had no idea what he looked like. One day my cousin and I were at the church working. I had gone into the Rec room and began dust mopping the floor. There was no one in the room when I entered. The Coke machine and the chair was on the right as I entered through the door. No one was there. I had made a couple of passes with the dust mop when I suddenly got a feeling that someone was behind me. I suddenly turned around and sitting in the chair was an elderly gentleman. He was sitting in the chair, feet flat on the floor with his hands folded in his lap and smiling. I can still remember the sheer tingling up my spine I got, for I knew there had been no one in the room other than myself just seconds earlier. I can still remember the sound that the wooden handle made as it struck the floor in the room as I ran out. I found my cousin and I couldn't hardly talk I was so scared. I told my cousin what had happened and he asked me to describe the gentleman. I did, and he looked funny, not saying much about it. Two of my aunts, one of them my cousins Mother heard about what had happened. They asked me to describe the gentleman, where I saw him, and what he was doing. One asked me if the gentleman reminded me of someone. Yes, I said he reminded me of and favored my Grandad. Not so much his looks, but his stature, being a small bodied man. My aunt's smiled and looked at one another and said, yes, that was him. My aunt's said that the gentleman was usually seen where I saw him in the chair, or sometimes in the kitchen. I know some would credit this to an overactive imagination, but I can remember to this day what I saw, and the sheer terror I felt, some 57 years later.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, here's another story. A close friend of mine was killed when she was 18 (electrocuted). On the first anniversary of her death, I was playing "Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" by Elton John when a Debbie Harry poster in my room fell down off the wall. Scared the heck out of me, but also made perfect sense. We were on again and off again over the years and she was probably jealous of Debbie's poster! At least that's what I'd like to believe...

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, sure, then we're just "meat all the way down", eh ? Thus everything we see/feel/do/think is utterly the result of "survival of the fittest". Even our sense of morality is merely what-best gets our genes into the next generation. Ie.: Morality is "subject" and "relative" to survival . Right ? After all Carl : Those are the only ingredients you have to draw from. Ok ?
Not sure how you got from here all the way to over there, but I'm pretty sure a quick way to get a thread locked around here is to inject politics or religion.

The human senses are incredibly easy to fool. This is proven daily by a good magician or an LRL salesman. I've had some weird encounters myself, yet I don't assume they were due to ghosts, aliens, or divine intervention. In fact, I find a whole lotta enjoyment in the realization that my senses got duped. Also keeps me on my toes for the folks out there who make a living out of duping people's senses.

Besides that, we have people walking around nearly every square foot of Earth these days. And the majority of these people are toting around an audio recorder and a video cam, what many call a "cell phone." And yet there's still no evidence of ghosts, or aliens, or Bigfoot, or Nessie. And when we do get a video, it turns out to be a smear on the windshield. The funny thing about that is, it was a video we could watch a few times until we saw the obvious: Twern't no ghost. Real life encounters often don't have video replay so we're only left with the one-and-only first impression: Sure looked like a ghost! And some people will go with that assumption. I don't, I will assume it had a non-paranormal explanation. That's the way my DNA is wired, and I rather like it that way.

As to morals, if morals somehow tie into this, yes, they often tend to be relative to society and culture. If you've ever dug Civil War relics and realized why those relics exist, then you'll understand that.

diggergirl

Nov 12, 2013
I also had an experience at Gettysburg. I was on my motorcycle & I pulled into a parking lot where a large battle took place. It was a summer morning & I was the only one in the parking lot. I stopped to read a marker describing the battle that took place there. I was still sitting on my motorcycle & the air got very cold. It felt like the temperature dropped 20 degrees or more. I got this overwhelming feeling that somebody was behind me & it felt like there was electricity in the air. It was so overwhelming that the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. I turned to look and nobody else was the parking lot. At that time I just wanted to get out of there. I went to start my bike and the battery drain on my motorcycle & was cranking over very slowly. Then the motor started. I revved the throttle so high & pop the clutch I almost did a wheelie pulling of the parking lot. I never saw anything. It was just an experience I never want to have again in my life.
My ex husband is terrified of ghosts because of an experience he had in Gettysburg. I’m a medium so I don’t know about the video but spirits are real!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
As to morals, if morals somehow tie into this, yes, they often tend to be relative to society and culture.
Carl, we have always agreed on LRLs, dowsing, and ghost-stuff.

But in-so-far as the above quote: Thanx for answering my question.

Then since you have opted for morality being subjective and relative to individual societies, and NOT objectively based, then : To be in keeping with your own stance so-stated : Then let's say that there were/are societies/cultures that practiced: 1. slavery, or 2. demeaning women to chattel status, or 3. gassing Jews or 4. gay-bashing. etc..... And in each of those cases, those societies decides that these things are morally "good".

Then on-your-view, they are therefore morally good. Because, after all, you just said that morality is not objective, it's subjective.

And if you, here in the USA, can look across the ocean and say "that's just wrong or evil", then you would merely be stating your preference. Ie.: You just don't happen to opine in slavery, or human sacrifice, etc.... NOT THAT IT'S OBJECTIVELY WRONG. It's just not your personal preference.

This is not my view, it's your view.

My suspicion is, that whenever someone says that morality is subjective (since that's the only thing that evolution can bring them, and it's the only ingredients they have to choose from) is that if you follow that person around for a day, they quickly give away their hand of cards. When they point a finger and claim something to be wrong , evil, immoral, etc.... Because, trust me : When they use those terms, they mean them in an objective sense. Not a subjective sense.

See the pickle that you are in ? You are certainly welcome to continue to maintain that it's subjective and relative to cultures. But when it comes to decrying Nazi Germany and the holocaust, you are essentially just saying that it's not your preference. Not that it was really wrong in any true objective sense.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread