If you could know all about a best find - Which would it be?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
julesjunk said:
Without being too redundant (I just posted this item in another Ironpatch thread). This is probably the one item I'd like most to "see" it's history.
Coin was found in Maine, near the coast, in a small orchard, beside a 1790's home.

I can imagine a sailor, working this coin, while at sea, in anticipation of seeing his women upon his return. In it's present condition, I assume it didn't spend long as a "coin". How was it lost? Did the lady it was made for simply loose it while picking fruit? Or, did she throw it down while fighting with her man in the orchard? How long did she wear it before it was lost? My movie might be a very short film......

Wow thats a cool find. I'll pay $8.50 and an arm and leg for popcorn to watch that movie :icon_thumleft:

Great Topic idea IP.

Mine would be the reale in my avatar. Why did the original owner solider two different halves of coins together? Was it to show off metal working skills? Perhaps it was to use as a full coin when US money was created and the pieces of reales were not used anymore?

Anyhow, maybe it would be more of a short story than a movie :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• 100_4190_Large_Web_view.jpg
    100_4190_Large_Web_view.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 464
  • 100_4190_Large_Web_view.jpg
    100_4190_Large_Web_view.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 480
BobinSouthVA said:
Great Topic idea IP.

Mine would be the reale in my avatar. Why did the original owner solider two different halves of coins together? Was it to show off metal working skills? Perhaps it was to use as a full coin when US money was created and the pieces of reales were not used anymore?

Anyhow, maybe it would be more of a short story than a movie :icon_thumleft:

Agreed. Excellent winter topic. We've ALL wondered at one time, or another about the "history" of our finds.

This is the first I've seen of a coin(s) being put back together so to speak. I'm intrigued. What a great story to view as well.

Found this at a post-colonial homesite in central Jersey - many finds in this area suggesting a family that could afford some of the "nicer" things from the mid-1800's to early-mid 1900s before the home disappeared....
Later "trashpit" stuff includes things like Dove facecream jars, Dreve shampoo bottles and cool kids toys from the period of mid 1900s
Earlier stuff includes:Kerosene cooking stove components
Model T hubcap
silverplated flatware from I can date from the 1880's
....and this Stevens single-shot 22 caliber pistol - dated to the late 1800's
I LOVE searching this site - makes me wonder about the generations who lived there, what their dreams were, and how they lived.
.....and WHO in that family would want a single shot 22 pistol - for defense? Certainly not for hunting???
Now THAT's a story I'd like to know....

Attachments

• 22pistolcompress.jpg
    22pistolcompress.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 381
I guess all 3 ?Great stuff on this post - oh that ring is cool with all the symbols Ironpatch - jesuit/monk?

Attachments

• treasure 008.jpg
    treasure 008.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 280
Silver locket with a lock of hair in it. Found with several 1700s coins in the same field.One side says Mary and the other has a sheep and a cross on it. I have posted this several times but it is still my most intersting find. It makes you wonder who Mary was and who carried it with a broken heart. .

Attachments

• Nov05$04locinsids.jpg
    Nov05$04locinsids.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 272
  • Nov05$03locket2.jpg
    Nov05$03locket2.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 237
  • Nov05$02locket.jpg
    Nov05$02locket.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 240
  • Nov05$02locket.jpg
    Nov05$02locket.jpg