if you could make your own scoop

glory-days

Greenie
Jan 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Whites IDX Pro
Since I do 99% of my detecting at the beach, I would make mine with a personal digger attached. HH, Dennis

Attachments

• brasil_bikini_01.jpg
    brasil_bikini_01.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 651

ohiotech

Jan 4, 2007
Dayton, Ohio.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark with stock 8" and CSC
Ahhh...

The good ole days of Ipanema beach. I'm so glad that my wife doesn't ask me about my past.

taropatch

Dec 24, 2007
That's pretty neat Ashleen. How well does it work on dry sand? I guess you can angle it downwards and press the back of the shovel with your foot.

Bomber, I've heard of using 6 inch PVC. Cut it at an angle to get the shovel part. I believe they capped the back and then drilled holes. How about heavy screen on the back end instead of PVC cap? The long handle -- you can use your imagination. I tried to get the guy to post pics of the one he made but he had garage-saled it and no longer had it.

I don't blame you -- the prices they ask for these beach scoops are outrageous.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
A good sturdy scoop that wont break, bend and enable you to quickly dig deep in hard packed shell/rocky bottoms while you are getting pounded by waves is worth every penny that they charge. A good heavy duty SS scoop will last for years and when you pay $1000+ for a detector what good is locating things if you cant get them up .02 :)

Haoleman

Aug 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
I looked at the scoops yeaterday at Kellyco. Most were so large and heavy I couldn't even pick them up! How in Surf City do you use these things. I'm going to bring my back hoe which I believe weighs about the same and I don't even have to get wet ;D I don't get the design. Doesn't seem like you can scoop anything with these without using it like a shovel. I'm going to design a better mousetrap here. I have a major lightbulb idea!

Terry

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
If? I did!

I bought a good sized plastic feed scoop at a tack-and-feed store (1.5 quarts, I think) and drilled over 50 3/8" holes in it. Makes a WONDERFUL dry-sand scoop! And it cost me less than 5 bucks! (I've seen very similar sand-scoops available on the net. The lowest cost I've found is about $30. SOMEone's making good money off of those things!)

Sorry, I don't have a photo to post. But you can get the idea, no? Try it yourself. I got mine at a Petsmart that doubles as a tack-and-feed store. It's green, and being plastic is easy to drill holes in. Just make sure the holes are just a little bit smaller than what you expect to find. A dime is a good measure -- make the holes just a bit smaller than that and you're okay. Oh, and don't put your weight on it when you're kneeling down -- it will crack a bit.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haoleman said:
I looked at the scoops yesterday at Kellyco. Most were so large and heavy I couldn't even pick them up! How in Surf City do you use these things. I'm going to bring my back hoe which I believe weighs about the same and I don't even have to get wet ;D I don't get the design. Doesn't seem like you can scoop anything with these without using it like a shovel. I'm going to design a better mousetrap here. I have a major lightbulb idea!

Terry

Terry, I use the Beach Brute, Kellyco has the Beach Brute II, the latest version of it. Not only does it work, it works great, it is a "back hoe". Yes the good ones weigh 5-6 lbs, mine weighs that, I even added extra handles to make it easier to pull up in the surf which added extra weight.

Working in the surf you want to recover the target as quick as possible, also you want to move on to the next target. I first bought a 6 inch wide "cheap" $50 scoop from Kellyco, I thought "that is a lot of $ for a scoop and it should work good." WRONG! I broke the handle off the first month trying to dig a target, I called Kellyco, told them it broke in less then a month and was told it was out of warranty. You put a lot of tourque on a scoop diggin in wet sand, on the beach or in the surf doesn't matter which.

Remember they are primarily for work in the surf, the wider and bigger the bucket the better. In the water they weigh less then on land. I am 59 and I have no problem carrying my scoop around during my hunts which usually last 4-6 hours at a minimum. As an added bonus they are one heck of a good bat if ever needed.

When it comes to scoops for this hobby, and your going to work the wet sand, you get what you pay for. If you decide the hobby isn't for you, you can always sell it on one of the boards or on EBay and get at least 60-70% of your money back, there are plenty of other hunters like myself who will pay good money $ for a good used heavy duty scoop, but I want give a dime for one of the cheap ones new or used. I learned from experience. ;)

Good luck and good hunting......

Haoleman

Aug 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Thanks for all the advice on the scoops. Still learning here.

Terry

Chi Town Bruce

Nov 4, 2006
Hey bomber, Get a family member to make you a scoop!
You know he will pick through your pile of LOOT. and want some gold for freeeeeee.
After all.....you FOUND IT, didn't ya! ;D

quote, my sister n law

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions