Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
If you don't think my recently dug 8 reale is heavy, check out these comparisons

I thought it would be interesting to see what the weight equivalent of my 8 reale would be in terms of cut pieces and hammered sixpences. I was quite surprised to see how many of each it took to produce the same weight. It took 24 misc cut pieces and 10 hammered sixpences to match up with the weight of one 8 reale coin. That's a huge numbers of coins in each case, but unfortunately I can only count the 8 reale as one in my seasonal total :'(.

Attachments

• weight comparison3.jpg
    weight comparison3.jpg
    870.1 KB · Views: 251
  • weight comparison2.jpg
    weight comparison2.jpg
    726.1 KB · Views: 225
  • weight comparison1.jpg
    weight comparison1.jpg
    702 KB · Views: 226
Upvote 27

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I could stare at your New World hammered silver coins all day long. How much did that Lord Baltimore weigh?

It weighed 2.85g Steve, so it would take about 10 of those as well.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, good to see you get one of those thick ones. I know you don't find many that were cut from 8 reales, and that is obviously your first whole one. Of my 65 Spanish pieces, I have one whole 8 reale and 7 pieces that were cut from 8 reales, or 12.3% of my Spanish originated as an 8 reale. I'm curious what your numbers are? I believe a lot of mine were used as pay to soldiers during the French and Indian War, as all but my whole 8 reale were found on French and Indian War sites.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill, good to see you get one of those thick ones. I know you don't find many that were cut from 8 reales, and that is obviously your first whole one. Of my 65 Spanish pieces, I have one whole 8 reale and 7 pieces that were cut from 8 reales, or 12.% of my Spanish originated as an 8 reale. I'm curious what your numbers are? I believe a lot of mine were used as pay to soldiers during the French and Indian War, as all but my whole 8 reale were found on French and Indian War sites.

Steve, out of my 183 colonial silver coins only 4 are related to an 8 reale. In addition to my recently dug whole coin, I have 30 and 90 deg wedges, and half of a counterfeit mid-1700s 8 reale. So that equates to a percentage of just 2.2%. Not many 2 reales either. Most of mine are small 1/2 or 1 reales or cut pieces from those denominations as you can see from my signature. Be nice to find more whole ones, but overall I certainly can't complain.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your 8 Reale weighs = 26.79g
The Morgan dollar. = 26.73g
A Mercury Dime. = 2.5 g
It takes approximately 10.5 Mercury Dimes to equal the weight of one Morgan Dollar and yet each one counts as one coin.,, lol

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve, out of my 183 colonial silver coins only 4 are related to an 8 reale. In addition to my recently dug whole coin, I have 30 and 90 deg wedges, and half of a counterfeit mid-1700s 8 reale. So that equates to a percentage of just 2.2%. Not many 2 reales either. Most of mine are small 1/2 or 1 reales or cut pieces from those denominations as you can see from my signature. Be nice to find more whole ones, but overall I certainly can't complain.
I also have 5 complete milled 2 reales, and a 2 reale cob. I think a lot of your small cut pieces took the place of coppers, of which there was a scarcity of in Virginia. Instead of finding small cut pieces, we find coppers of north.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I also have 5 complete milled 2 reales, and a 2 reale cob. I think a lot of your small cut pieces took the place of coppers, of which there was a scarcity of in Virginia. Instead of finding small cut pieces, we find coppers of north.

I only have 6 complete 2 reales, and I don't think any of my cobs are greater than the 1 reale denomination. But I definitely have more cut silvers than colonial coppers which is strange, but very fortunate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread