🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just Don't drop it on your Foot !

Weighs as much as 15 Trade Dollars.

The Lamar register.
(Lamar, Colo.), 21 Oct. 1893.

000aaa.jpg

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...ext=&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

(The United States Trade Dollar: popularly called the "Buzzard dollar" after the public's opinion of the eagle on the reverse)

(
Gold in 1893 $20.67 an OZ.)

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
An interesting sidebar to the 'loof' coin. The value was written cross the face of it in Indian ink. Notwithstanding, these coins were not looked kindly upon by Europeons because the native had a 'playful' habit of sawing the huge coins in two and scooping out the interior gold. Lead was then inserted to maintain the proper weight; the edges were soldered together very skillfuly; only a magnifying glass could discern the PMD.
Jeff. thanks for your post.
Don....

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the Buzzard Dollar was the Morgan? If so the silver coin mentioned weighs just over 20 pounds!

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the Buzzard Dollar was the Morgan? If so the silver coin mentioned weighs just over 20 pounds!

after checking Old Newspaper articles instead of Google

I Believe you are Correct

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I of course have everything mixed around And its 15 buzzards and the next coin is 325 gold dollars. 15 buzzards is about a pound and it doesn't really give any info on the 325 gold dollars

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting article, wouldn't mind having some of those pieces floating around!

The largest old precious metal "coin" I recall is the Siamese 80 Baht "Pot Duang" bullet coin:

o3Rare1.jpg

Most have probably been melted down so the ~1,200 gram (2.6lb) coins are exceptionally rare.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
here's a bigger one....100 kilos

gold-coin_650x400_71490628547.jpg

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hah, I was contemplating being even more clear because someone might post the big modern gimmick coins that we've all seen. Since they're not old coins actually intended for circulation/exchange I don't think they really count. Certainly wouldn't mind having one though!

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone have a picture of what the "loof" looks like? I'm just curious. I did some searching, but nothing noteworthy came up.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hah, I was contemplating being even more clear because someone might post the big modern gimmick coins that we've all seen. Since they're not old coins actually intended for circulation/exchange I don't think they really count. Certainly wouldn't mind having one though!

Yes imo it's Sad for the 100 Kilo Coin.
That Will Never get Melted Down & will just go to Waste Forever,
Unless some enterprising Thief Steals it, Chops it up & sells it to Cash for gold.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have a picture of what the "loof" looks like? I'm just curious. I did some searching, but nothing noteworthy came up.

I should have Copied it When I found it on google.
It Disappeared from Google images right after I saw it & clicked on the 1st time.
I suppose it was 1 hit too many for the Owner ???.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if the large round holed coin is an example of a "loof", or if "loof" was an incorrect transcription of "loaf" and the 19th century authors assumed it was a round coin, when instead it was one of those big ingots that I think may be referred to as a "Nén-vàng" "Loaf of Gold", weighing 10 taels (39.05g/tael), with 390.5g not being too terribly far off from the weight of 315 gold dollars.

117501070.jpg

From: La Monnaie de Paris: The last secret in the heart of Paris finally opens its doors - Alain.R.Truong

Definitely seems to be an elusive coin to find a picture of.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the one I found online , That I Thought was a Loof was Oval & Had a Ink Die design on it.

Turns out it May be the Japanese Obang Which would have been over 2 Ounces of Pure Gold

newexhibition3_2.jpg

Which is Why I was having issues Recalling it up

Last edited:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read that early-on, before Japan was opened and forced to adjust to the global economy (and globally recognized value of gold relative to silver), the Japanese valued silver very highly due to its beauty and lack of availability on the island, such that 3 units of Silver could be traded for 1 unit of Gold, which was extremely lucrative for those positioned to take advantage of it. I bet a bunch of those nice big gold coins got melted down as a result of this trade.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read that early-on, before Japan was opened and forced to adjust to the global economy (and globally recognized value of gold relative to silver), the Japanese valued silver very highly due to its beauty and lack of availability on the island, such that 3 units of Silver could be traded for 1 unit of Gold, which was extremely lucrative for those positioned to take advantage of it. I bet a bunch of those nice big gold coins got melted down as a result of this trade.

Yep ! May have Happened with the Loof.

Any that may still exist are Unknowns Now

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
the one I found online , That I Thought was a Loof was Oval & Had a Ink Die design on it.

Turns out it May be the Japanese Obang Which would have been over 2 Ounces of Pure Gold

View attachment 1638746

Now this is something i know a thing or two about. That is a Oban, not to be confused with a Koban, and they changed greatly with different issues, mintings and debasement. During the Meiji period The Japanese developed the "yen" which is a cognate for "round" and finally got onto everything western. Those Obans and Kobans are still quite plentiful in Japan but don't look for them on EBAY. For some reason YAHOO auction is the big thing over there. These coins go for silly amounts too, the Japanese have wages comparable to ours and if it is a "thing" over there, don't even put your hat in the ring. I have seen and held and lusted over 20 yen gold coins in Tokyo that go for over 100,000$...but i just can't justify that!

1200px-Koban_evolution.jpg

this should give you an idea of the mess their coinage was in (good article on Wikipedia)

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can you imagine finding that I would be looking around fod the candid camera crew I would whhel that baby home slice it like a pizza and sell it piece by piece lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread