If You Found A Gold Nugget In The Last Year, What Detector(s) Did You Find It With?

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is an informal survey, just out of curiosity. For those of you who have been out prospecting in the last year (back to Sept 2014) and actually have found gold nuggets, what detector or detectors did you find the gold with? The poll is not meant to prove anything. I am just wondering what detectors are most commonly in use now for finding gold nuggets by those who are actually finding the gold.

I am posting this on the most of the active US forums so please do not post your answer in more than one place. In a week I will compile all the answers from all the forums and post the results back to each one. Thanks in advance for you participation.

I own a number of units but so far in the last year my gold was found with the Minelab GPZ 7000, SDC 2300, and a few nuggets in trashy areas with the Makro Racer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GPX 5000 for gold. Gold Bug 29er for native silver

emptyhole

Feb 28, 2014
n. calif.
Detector(s) used
all the prospecting toys
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done very well with my garrett atx over the last year.

chipbrown331

Sep 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Empty hole. If i was to do it all over again i would be swinging a atx. But i actually own 2 gpx 5k's that i cant get anywhere near my money back on. But...they are also great machines with a lot of coil choices.
The garret atx is a excellent detector!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve, since the replies have been limited and though I'm out of your time line, I thought I would reply. In NorCal I used a GMT to successfully and frequently find small pieces of gold and of course it sounded off on larger items as well. This was gold "in" bedrock (aka Lanny stuff) as well as behind a boulder gravel that I would detect before adding any further labor to it, no beep no pan, beep then pan. I would love to see more activity here, hope it happens......................63bkpkr

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Steve,

It's been a while since I've shot you a message. This season has been a nice productive season, and I've spread the finds among three detectors: the Minelab X-Terra 705, the Minelab GPX 5000 (of course), and the Gold Bug Pro (it's been sniffing out a lot of sassy gold lately).

I'm beginning to understand what you told me a long time ago, that all detectors that are genuine gold machines will find the nuggets if you get your coil over them. But, having said that, I like the three different detectors for very different reasons.

All the best,

Lanny

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably not too many swinging a Scorpion Gold Stinger anymore...but it has found me gold in both Colorado and Arizona since Sept 2014.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
I've done very well with my garrett atx over the last year.

That thing is a monster isn't it? If every 1 gram piece of ferrous at 15 inches was gold I would be a..........

kb173

Oct 12, 2015
castlemaine Victoria
Detector(s) used
minelab 4500, SDC2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So far this year I've found a bit over a half ounce in small nuggets using the SDC2300 around Castlemaine Victoria Aust.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Outside of the timeline here too, but still an interesting survey.

Of my two MD's, I've only found gold with the SDC 2300.

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
gold bug pro works just fine for me

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
about two weeks ago Fowledup and myself went detecting found these with the GMT W/shooter coil DSCN0391.JPG thiere should be three but fowledup stole one to give to his 10 year old grand-daughter that was with us that day, what a trooper

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice Specimens! :)

2cmorau

Bronze Member