billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, here's one question that will get you thinking.

Here's another that will keep you up at night..

Barring any possibility of a Home or Health Emergency and you knew you would never need it in the next 2 years:

IF you had $10,000 dollars, what would you do with it in the next 12 months?

If you had the same $10,000 dollars, and chose not to spend it, would you keep it in cash, in silver, or in gold?

Bill

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would by $3,000.00 in gold nuggets; $4,000.00 in gold bullion, and take the last $3,000.00 and go play Texas Hold 'Em. :headbang:

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd buy a new Minelab CTX 3030 and keep the rest in cash under my mattress.

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would buy several used cars through a connection I have and flip them for a profit.
If I kept it I would split between silver, gold and cash.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get some things done medical wise that need be done

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Being retired, I would try to max out on local pickup banks that sell bags of halves and just search, search, & search. I consider CRH a little man's way of prospecting for silver from the comforts of an easy chair & a TV, since I was not around for the 1849's GOLD RUSH in California.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being retired, I would try to max out on local pickup banks that sell bags of halves and just search, search, & search.
CRH wa real good for me 5-6 years ago. I quit when it dried up. I found over 1200 silver halves & a few old silver dollars and silver rounds. (bank teller had a baggy of "big" coins and she was happy to get rid of them. It was a Chinese bank in SoCA and they had no idea what they were. Paid $1 each)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have $10k saved. It's going to SIT where it is and have a happy nap. Would take YEARS go get another 10k, and the cat is getting old.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#1: Buy a newer car/suv.
#2: Silver and gold scrap.

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
Old silver coins. Coins appreciate in value, silver & gold scrap are out of the question due to price fluctuation and not really knowing what the scrap is.....real or ? As for a vehicle? Is your present vehicle in good condition?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not really knowing what the scrap is.....real or ?
get yourself an electronic gold tester, mine is accurate to within half a karat. go to yardsales and look for old jewelry or do what I did in October. I only bought two pieces of "junk" jewelry. one piece was market 8 for $1.00 the other was .25 cents. total weight one ounce gold. total value about $600

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
get yourself an electronic gold tester, mine is accurate to within half a karat. go to yardsales and look for old jewelry or do what I did in October. I only bought two pieces of "junk" jewelry. one piece was market 8 for $1.00 the other was .25 cents. total weight one ounce gold. total value about $600

Cyberdan,

Do you just buy up all the costume jewelry and test it later or test it all there? I am thinking of trying to duplicate your garage sale (what they call it here) techniques next spring. I have tried going to some local auctions for cheap jewelry/coins and the competition is too much to get stuff cheap that way.

I have one friend who is a coin/jewelry pro who goes to lots of auctions and says he gets a decent amount of real gold/silver in the costume jewelry lots for cheap. He goes and examines each piece at the showing before the auction and even brings his scale if necessary. I couldn't do that at a garage sale so easily I would think?

Jim

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old silver coins. Coins appreciate in value, silver & gold scrap are out of the question due to price fluctuation and not really knowing what the scrap is.....real or ? As for a vehicle? Is your present vehicle in good condition?

As for a vehicle? Is your present vehicle in good condition?

Goose,

After having a worthless, rootless, out of state brother that had done little to nothing for his aging 90+ yr. old mother, I ran the wheels off my 2002 Ford SUV helping mom who lives 3 hours away. The market and all the rumors where saying "end of the world", so I was torn between buying a Hybrid Prius or a Pickup. After finding an old 1920's dresser put out by the curb, and realizing that it wasn't made of pine, but made of Chestnut, I spent an hour on it and made almost $100. It was then that I knew having a vehicle that could tow a trailer and carry larger items was what I needed. In 2012, I bought a Ford Crew-Cab, 4-door, pickup with a 7 yr. extended warranty. I've found that with all the electronics, suspension, and braking designs, I've always at least broken even on using my extended warranties, plus the peace of mind that major costs are covered.... Our "Second car" gets 29 mpg and is our "town car for short distance driving".....

Should things "Go-to-Hell-in-a-Handbasket" in the next year or two, I even have a new/solid bicycle and a scooter that's powered by bottled LP gas to use or cannibalize for power parts to make the bicycle able to go distances my old 67 yr. old legs couldn't get to....:tongue3:

Cheap/Reliable/Economical transportation for work, scavenging the city streets and back county roads, and medical needs, may very well be a major issue as gasoline goes back up after the Nat'l Election or becomes nonexistent after some terrorist group or rouge nation's EMP hits....

Plan for the worst and Hope for the best,
Bill

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread