If you had a choice of only one machine for a once in a lifetime hunt

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Once in a lifetime hunt gives you one chance to get it right.... I'd use the detector I was most confident with....switching before a once in a lifetime hunt wouldn't be the right thing to do....
Now however if you are just wanting to know everyone's choices of what they would use, you will get their honest answers which in MOST cases WILL be the machine they use the most and are most comfortable with....

Cliff

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beach ? Sovereign / W.O.T. coil combo
I don't do water past my ankles.
& prefer not to deal with salt & waves.
My Sovereign/W.O.T. combo was a Gold Jewelry Vacuum

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on the "finds" I was looking for and how much time I had. But more than likely the CTX if there was a time limit and knew there were certain targets I wanted to skip over. If there were known artifacts in the area, my choice would be the 17" coil in all metal mode or a Sand Shark.

Last edited:

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Sand shark because it's go's deeper than any other detector out there.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me see ... once in a lifetime hunt on a beach. Conditions would dictate a choice between VLF or PI as would where you were going to find these treasures.... dry or wet sand or in the water. Dry sand..... ML Gpx if it can be used or one of wet/water..... one of Eric Fosters machines. I wouldnt want to miss a seriously valuable target. We are talking a dream hunt with a dream machine.

Dew

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can think of five or six that I would have total confidence in. I'd just want a quality machine that suited the conditions and one I was really comfortable with. I think a lot of targets are missed by all of this splitting of hairs when it comes to machine choices. Have the machine adjusted correctly, get the coil over it, and it's going to find it. However, I'd still want the option to swap coils so I could hunt just about situation I might encounter.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
beach/water
Having Versatility, being able to adapt to the conditions because you have no clue what you are walking into and like Cdv1 said the machine you know, would be the one I would use.... And it would be Excalibur based.
Black Bart Excalibur
Remote PP, Skullies/GGA's, LiPo 45 hour battery, Carbon Fiber shaft, Whites tallman lower, changeable coils, changeable headphones. Should be done March the 1st.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One that could tell the difference between pull tabs and gold rings.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once in a lifetime hunt gives you one chance to get it right.... I'd use the detector I was most confident with....switching before a once in a lifetime hunt wouldn't be the right thing to do....
Now however if you are just wanting to know everyone's choices of what they would use, you will get their honest answers which in MOST cases WILL be the machine they use the most and are most comfortable with....

Cliff
Yep, looks like everyone is choosing the detector they currently use.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, where is this once in a life time hunt? Can we all go? (Well, except for the guys who may have already been there.) :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, looks like everyone is choosing the detector they currently use.

almost.

I no longer use a Sovereign, due to circumstances beyond my control.

Although I'm happy with my Explorer SE for deep silver,
I miss finding Gold rings which the Explorer or my ears can't hear without BBS :(

don't know If my ears will ever hear a gold coin again either without BBS

Last edited:
OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the responses to this post!
I understand that everyone would want to use a machine that they would be most comfortable with. The point was to see which machines came up the most over the others and to see how passionate they felt about their machine and how much they believed in what they were using.
Some replies have been information that goes without saying and the brand and model was the intended information hoped to be posted.
Hopefully this doesn't come off sounding offensive as It was not my intention.
More information gained would have been to see what machines people may or may not have and would bring if they could afford to.
Yes I could have simply asked that question but didn't want to open the door of my machine is better than yours.
Thanks again to all who've responded.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses to this post!
I understand that everyone would want to use a machine that they would be most comfortable with. The point was to see which machines came up the most over the others and to see how passionate they felt about their machine and how much they believed in what they were using.
Some replies have been information that goes without saying and the brand and model was the intended information hoped to be posted.
Hopefully this doesn't come off sounding offensive as It was not my intention.
More information gained would have been to see what machines people may or may not have and would bring if they could afford to.
Yes I could have simply asked that question but didn't want to open the door of my machine is better than yours.
Thanks again to all who've responded.

In that case, the machine I have now. An older blue Excal 800, with remote switch, skullie headphones, and a cable connector so I can swap coils. Tough, reliable, sensitive, time tested and proven, and the current setup provides complete versatility so I can adapt to just about any situation I might encounter.

OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
In that case, the machine I have now. An older blue Excal 800, with remote switch, skullie headphones, and a cable connector so I can swap coils. Tough, reliable, sensitive, time tested and proven, and the current setup provides complete versatility so I can adapt to just about any situation I might encounter.

image-1462664219.jpg

I like your style!

Attachments

• image-1542928903.jpg
    image-1542928903.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 104

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread