If you had proof...

O

Old Silver

Let's say you found proof, and I mean honest to goodness, no non sense, eye opening, slap yourself silly, PROOF of the authenticity of the Beale treasure. Would you publish your findings, or would you keep things under your hat? If you chose to reveal your findings, would you do it on a treasure forum, or maybe write a book about it, or both? Take some time to think about it, and post what you think you'd do with such findings. As for myself, I can't say for sure, but I think the temptation would be too great to not say anything, so I'd probably share bits and pieces on here, but would try not to give away too much info.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting question. But I think the answer is dependent on the outcome that the conclusive proof provides, i.e., intended hoax, simple dime novel, a partial truth, complete deception or misdirection, and of course, if it were to prove the existence of a treasure or if it told of one already recovered? So personally, I can't say?

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

Interesting question. But I think the answer is dependent on the outcome that the conclusive proof provides, i.e., intended hoax, simple dime novel, a partial truth, complete deception or misdirection, and of course, if it were to prove the existence of a treasure or if it told of one already recovered? So personally, I can't say?

Good point. But if the proof was authenticating the existence of the treasure, would you spill your guts?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point. But if the proof was authenticating the existence of the treasure, would you spill your guts?

"If" it turned out that the story proved the existence of a treasure I'd let a good lawyer with experience in that type of thing tell me what I should do? There have been several rich finders that went broke because of their huge discovery, I wouldn't want to be added to that list. Problem is, there are at least 31 share holders attached to that wealth and they, or their descendents, have legal rights also, as would any third party such as an insurance company, bank, investor, or anyone one else who could provide cause to file their claim, and they would. Once you had that proof your own research would also provide all these other sources, so in essence your proof also provides the other claimants and becomes your enemy in the courts. It's the two headed dragon. If you were lucky it would only be years in to determine what your legal share might be, instead of decades. But at what legal cost to you?

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Old Silver

And apart from the legal woes, could a lawyer be trusted? That's a lot of money to trust to the hands of someone in that position.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only "proof" of the Beale Treasure would be the Beale Treasure itself. Quod erat demonstrandum.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
"If" it turned out that the story proved the existence of a treasure I'd let a good lawyer with experience in that type of thing tell me what I should do? There have been several rich finders that went broke because of their huge discovery, I wouldn't want to be added to that list. Problem is, there are at least 31 share holders attached to that wealth and they, or their descendents, have legal rights also, as would any third party such as an insurance company, bank, investor, or anyone one else who could provide cause to file their claim, and they would. Once you had that proof your own research would also provide all these other sources, so in essence your proof also provides the other claimants and becomes your enemy in the courts. It's the two headed dragon. If you were lucky it would only be years in to determine what your legal share might be, instead of decades. But at what legal cost to you?

AGREE!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The only "proof" of the Beale Treasure would be the Beale Treasure itself. Quod erat demonstrandum.

Eh...? COULD have been Gold & Silver Coins, and Jewelry donated by Southern ladies to the REBEL (CSA) "cause"... AND! "St Loo" (St. Louis) was in the FREE states area, where Q's Guerrillas were EVERYWHERE; including... JJ! :2barsgold::2barsgold::2barsgold::laughing7::icon_thumleft::coffee2: Coffee...? :award_star_silver_2 "THE STAR" knows...

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

How do you know that? Would like to see your evidence.

You want me to give you evidence that proof of the authenticity of the treasure would require producing the actual treasure?

Here goes:

If proof is something which shows something else is true or correct.

And you have proof that the demonstrates the Beale Treasure is authentic.

And authentic is defined as "real, genuine, and verifiable"

And evidence is defined as a visible sign of something

Then you must have the real Beale Treasure where it is visible.

Or: I will give you evidence of your claim if you give me evidence of the Beale Treasure

An image would do to verify that.

Otherwise, you may be able to show that Thomas J. Beale existed, had the resources to accumulate the treasure the ciphers might have mentioned if they were decoded properly. That is still no proof he buried/hid the valuables before he died. Someone claimed that someone else claimed to have produced a box 23 years after he disappeared which contained ciphers.

OP
OP
O

Old Silver

You want me to give you evidence that proof of the authenticity of the treasure would require producing the actual treasure?

Here goes:

Or: I will give you evidence of your claim if you give me evidence of the Beale Treasure

Otherwise, you may be able to show that Thomas J. Beale existed, had the resources to accumulate the treasure the ciphers might have mentioned if they were decoded properly. That is still no proof he buried/hid the valuables before he died. Someone claimed that someone else claimed to have produced a box 23 years after he disappeared which contained ciphers.

Relax, man, no one is saying they have proof of the Beale treasure. I know treasure hunting makes you nervous, but not to worry on this one, as it's just something interesting to think about and talk about.

In cache hunting, there is such a thing as finding evidence to support the existence of a treasure. I've never seen a lead that comes with a guarantee.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this hypothetical, and as far as the real discovery of a wealthy treasure is concerned, there would be so many laws and human obstacles to dodge in court that your one share, which by decree of the story and which you just proved to be legit, well, I fear there would be nothing left for you in the end but debt. But either way it would be a very long and costly process.

PS: Have wifi tonight....lol After being stuck in traffic in Atlanta for 2hrs I did about another 100 miles and decided to grab a room. lol

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
S' true nuff. I am coming to understand that in cache hunting knowing a cache truly existed would give you a 95% headstart to most legends.

Write the book or at least get it outlined. Contact the History Channel and get a season. While that is in planning and pre-production flesh out the book. Two years later the series is out and you can introduce the book in the finished first edition at the same time.

Doesn't make me nervous. It piques my interest. The motivation to find answers - including treasure - is a fundamental human behavior. Possibly the one that seperated us from lesser animals. But, like with religion, when someone claims to have the answers I get real curious as to how they arrived at those conclusions. You seek treasures. I seek truths. Call it a hobby.

Nothing I post is a personal attack on anyone. Just a search for hard answers. Carry on and all success to you.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

Here goes:

"Images" of ANYTHING, can be "FAKED"!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
In this hypothetical, and as far as the real discovery of a wealthy treasure is concerned, there would be so many laws and human obstacles to dodge in court that your one share, which by decree of the story and which you just proved to be legit, well, I fear there would be nothing left for you in the end but debt. But either way it would be a very long and costly process.

PS: Have wifi tonight....lol After being stuck in traffic in Atlanta for 2hrs I did about another 100 miles and decided to grab a room. lol

GOOD idea! NASTY Snow/FREEZE is almost EVERYWHERE!; NO snow, here in Lynchburg, Va. BUT! DANG FREEZE is... warming up today & NEXT week... YAY!

Cryptography

Banned
Jan 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's say you found proof, and I mean honest to goodness, no non sense, eye opening, slap yourself silly, PROOF of the authenticity of the Beale treasure. Would you publish your findings, or would you keep things under your hat? If you chose to reveal your findings, would you do it on a treasure forum, or maybe write a book about it, or both? Take some time to think about it, and post what you think you'd do with such findings. As for myself, I can't say for sure, but I think the temptation would be too great to not say anything, so I'd probably share bits and pieces on here, but would try not to give away too much info.

You would not tell these guys that's for sure.:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread