If You Had

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Me? I wouldn't recommend "investing" in any PM right now, until I saw some stabilization in the market and some indication we are at or near a bottom (which is always a subjective determination, at best). Personally, I've been burned too many times buying on the way down, or "catching a falling knife," as they say. If you're into speculating, buying into volatility sometimes pays well.

Small "Physical" purchases or Gold and Silver are even less attractive to me right now, due to the outrageous premiums they are currently demanding.

Longish-term (5-10 years), I don't expect to see gold or silver consistently trade above recent highs. If and when silver gets back to around $15/oz in the "small player" physical market, then I will likely add to my inventory of ASEs and 90% silver dollars and halves.

The great thing about a forum like this is that you will likely get a nice variety of answers/opinions. This just happens to be mine.

TKC

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally agree with TheCoinKid. I would not be purchasing a significant amount of PM's right now. The overall trend for both gold and silver has been down for almost 2 years. I see no reason why this is expected to change. I've talked before about why I believe this so I will refrain from doing so again. I also agree that the premiums right now are too high. You are pretty much paying $26-$28 for silver based on the current premiums. So the price of silver can go up quite a bit from the current level of $23 and you will still likely be paying the same price as today. This means there really is no hurry to run out and buy silver right now. Why not wait and see if it goes down further?

I predict $16 silver and $900 gold within the next two years. That is my personal opinion. There are many others who believe differently and I'm sure they will be along to offer their own opinions.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
30-round ammunition magazines and Bushmaster Lower Receivers.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I'm here. LMAO. @ NYHunter. Waiting for the bottom is a fools game, the price may go up tonight then you've lost your chance. I have bought when it's been down at $18 and up at $38 but I'm stacking for survival and I'm not looking at the dollar value as investors do, It's not an investment to me. If you believe like I do that the country is heading for disaster then I say start buying as the physical is being bought up right now by big manufacturers as they don't want to be left out in the cold and the little guys are really flocking to it all over the world.
Only you can make the decision by what you feel and think inside. Keep Stacking

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
If I was "stacking for survival", my focus would be closer to Terry's philosophy. For me, it would be guns, ammo, meds, food and booze, not silver. That's not what I'm doing though. Personally, I buy PMs as a component of a balanced investment plan.

March...., you're right about one thing, the price may go up tonight then you've lost your chance (at least temporarily). Then again, the price may go down and you've lost your a$$.

I'm new to this forum, but certainly not new to the game. I'm all for a spirited, open and respectful discussion, but find your "LMAO" reference to my post, which was made in good faith, to be offensive.

TKC

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
March...., you're right about one thing, the price may go up tonight then you've lost your chance (at least temporarily). Then again, the price may go down and you've lost your a$$.

TKC

No, won't lose your "a$$". If you bought now and then it dropped to $18 (very unlikely) you have only lost a small percentage if you sell then. PM are NOT a day-trader purchase. The market goes up and down, but always on an upward trend over time. I would buy silver now. It's safe, and it's pretty damned cheap at the moment!

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
No, won't lose your "a$$". If you bought now and then it dropped to $18 (very unlikely) you have only lost a small percentage if you sell then. PM are NOT a day-trader purchase.

Jason,

You're correct and I know that. I was just trying to make a point. A prior post of mine was mocked and I didn't appreciate it.

As for which direction silver prices go, you're guess is just as good as mine.

Regards,

TKC

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheCoinKid, don't take Marchas45 too seriously. His LMAO comments are aimed more at me than anyone else. We enjoy a little back and forth banter since we have differing opinions. In all fairness, I was probably the one who started it all originally.

Also, he is a very jovial guy if you've ever seen any of his videos. So he is literally always LHAO even when not involved in debate. :)

Last edited:

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, won't lose your "a$$". If you bought now and then it dropped to $18 (very unlikely) you have only lost a small percentage if you sell then. PM are NOT a day-trader purchase. The market goes up and down, but always on an upward trend over time. I would buy silver now. It's safe, and it's pretty damned cheap at the moment!

If you invested more than you can afford to lose then yes, you could "lose your a$$" (at least a large part of it). It is true that silver will never go to zero. But that doesn't mean you can't lose a sizable amount of your investment if it drops 30%. I'm sure the OP would be very happy to actually make money rather than lose it. But in general you are right. The losses are limited.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
If I was "stacking for survival", my focus would be closer to Terry's philosophy. For me, it would be guns, ammo, meds, food and booze, not silver. That's not what I'm doing though. Personally, I buy PMs as a component of a balanced investment plan.

I'm new to this forum, but certainly not new to the game. I'm all for a spirited, open and respectful discussion, but find your "LMAO" reference to my post, which was made in good faith, to be offensive.

TKC

TKC,

Since you are new to the forum, you should check out some of Marchas' posts, he almost always uses the phrase LMAO in response to any post that seems bearish towards silver. He is probably the least likely poster here to make personal attack although he is very much a silver bull (like most of us here except TreasurePirate :tongue3:) and lets his views be known to all the silver bears or those who make bearish sounding posts.

This forum is like a child's playground compared to when I used to post on the CRHing forum, now that's where you used to find some argumentative folks-me included (at least that is how it was when I stopped posting there a couple years ago). Every now and then a troll appears on this forum but doesn't stay for long because they don't seem to get as much attention as they do on other forums and they leave.

Just my opinion.

Jim

OP
OP
N

NYHunter

Jul 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent stuff, fellas! Very interesting and informative. Today, I went to my local coin dealer. He's charging $6 spot for Silver Eagles, $4 spot for Maple Leaf, and $2.50 for generic rounds. Are those spot prices fair enough? Again, thanks, fellas, this is a great forum.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Excellent stuff, fellas! Very interesting and informative. Today, I went to my local coin dealer. He's charging $6 spot for Silver Eagles, $4 spot for Maple Leaf, and $2.50 for generic rounds. Are those spot prices fair enough? Again, thanks, fellas, this is a great forum.

NYHunter,

I think $2.50 for generic rounds, if they are new or real pretty secondary market ones is a decent price in this current climate of dropping prices and generally low retail supply. If they are generic as in holiday type bars/rounds or really off quality round/bars or those odd sized bars that look like someone made them in their basement although they are stamped .999 and probably are, then I would say not a good deal.

If a person has very little or no current silver stash, then I think buying now is not a bad time. Anyone waiting for lower prices and supply might get their wish, or they might not. Even if prices do drop lower I don't believe it will stay that way for long.

Just my opinion.

Jim

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TKC

Actually the LMAO was not directed towards you and I don't know why You would think that. I was directing My Laughing My A$$ Off at Pirate when he said," There are many others who believe differently and I'm sure they will be along to offer their own opinions" and I said, "Yep I'm Here". But if you need an apology then you have it.
As for me, if you have read any of my earlier posts then you will know I stack for Survival also and not the investment . I have my Guns ,ammo, food, medical, water supplies, gas and lots more.
If you don't know me, I'm always happy and laughing hence the LOL and the LMAO Have a Good Day.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheCoinKid, don't take Marchas45 too seriously. His LMAO comments are aimed more at me than anyone else. We enjoy a little back and forth banter since we have differing opinions. In all fairness, I was probably the one who started it all originally.

Also, he is a very jovial guy if you've ever seen any of his videos. So he is literally always LHAO even when not involved in debate. :)

Thank you Pirate much appreciated.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Marchas45,

I appreciate your apology, but I'm the one that should be apologizing. Sorry for the misunderstanding, which is all on me. I appreciate a civil forum, and regret that I'm apparently the one stirring the pot here.

Regards,

TKC

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone's situation is unique, I have a decent horde I amassed when silver was at rock bottom years ago, and I can't see buying any now.

History shows it will continue to fall as the economy improves, but you never know.

If I invested 10k now, and in a few months I could have had twice the silver for the same money, I would be sick.

gl.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Everyone's situation is unique, I have a decent horde I amassed when silver was at rock bottom years ago, and I can't see buying any now.

History shows it will continue to fall as the economy improves, but you never know.

If I invested 10k now, and in a few months I could have had twice the silver for the same money, I would be sick.

gl.

I don't see any proof that the economy is improving. I see lots of for rent signs up in many business districts here that used to be fully rented most of the time. Lots of unemployed people still in the US. Record numbers on food stamps right now. These are gov figures, so things probably are worse (unemployment numbers, etc).

We should know in the next few months where silver and gold really are headed. The supply issue may help determine which direction it goes.

Jim

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marchas45,

I appreciate your apology, but I'm the one that should be apologizing. Sorry for the misunderstanding, which is all on me. I appreciate a civil forum, and regret that I'm apparently the one stirring the pot here.

Regards,

TKC

Not a problem coinkid, believe it or not there is rarely an argument on this forum, yes we have our differences but we all respect each others views and opinions, hell even Pirate wishes I lived close by so he could take me out for a beer. Lol

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
The all in cost of most gold producers is now up $1050-1100 and rising,which means if prices fall much further and stay down,they will cut production which eventually raise prices.I only hope they don't starting hedging their future production again because that could help cap prices.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread