If you knew were a Cache or Lost Treasure ??

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
If you knew were a Cache or Lost Treasure was ...... And would not give out the location ..... but you should not give out the location........... WHY do you go on fourms and tell or ask about it ???? Is it Ego ??? As most know I will not show any pictures or even tell what i have found ......... To me what i find is for no one to ever know or see except for my family ..... There are some things that should be kept to one's self ....... There are things the world need not know.............. About one and one's treasure find's............ But to each his own......

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Bayter said:
I couldn't agree with you more!
Thank you .........You are a smart man.. Dealers like to talk and show finds but they are trying to sell detectors........ And one's that work for detector Companys love to show there finds........... But all they are trying to do..... Is get you to buy there brand of detector...........

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Keppy, I see your point. The bottom line is, if you knew where a cache or treasure was, then you would just go dig it up. Everything else is just Tnet entertainment.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
gleaner1 said:
Keppy, I see your point. The bottom line is, if you knew where a cache or treasure was, then you would just go dig it up. Everything else is just Tnet entertainment.
I guess so but i will never under stand why....

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Ego is correct, but In technical terms it is officially known as Dillusions of Granduer Manifested in an Internet Medium (such as Tnet). I see it all the time. It's as simple as it gets. Rest assured, we all see thru this crap too.

Bayter

Dec 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only clue there would be to me finding a cache/treasure, would be the fact that I would be purchasing another safe.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago (after a huge coin find was posted on this forum) I said no proof then no hoard. Interestingly enough there's been a few finds made supposedly worth thousands with not even a photograph of one coin and most make excuses of behalf of the supposed finder that if the government found out they would lose the lot. In this case they should have kept silent in the first place.

Then with the memory span of goldfish, people who supported the finders of these invisible hoards manage not to notice six months down the line that that the hoard finder posts that they really want to try a new coil or detector and are "saving up for one" (or in one case hasn't been able to get out for a few months because their car had a transmission fault). Why haven't they done what they said they were going to do, ie sell a coin or two each month ?

One big reason for coming out with these claims is that it brings a little fame and is a key to becoming a moderator on some forums. I was on a forum where one guy would post pictures of his finds so a slight improvement from no pictures but his post on a U.K. forum would say 400 year old coin and the one on the U.S. forum would say priceless or unique coin. The difference is you can have something in Europe that's hundreds of years old, even thousands and its worth very little as its so common. I left that forum partly because I got fed up with posting links to prove the item was not unique or valuable but mainly because there were a number of British posters on that site who must have known what was going on and if they were turning a blind eye what were they up to themselves. One in fact was buying the finds he was posting. He's now a moderator on another forum. Come out and say they are lying and you would be banned.

Just think someone who has found little or nothing is the one telling you what equipment you should use to become as successful as them !

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could find something, that I cant show. It is kinda hard when you know you have something, and cant show, and others have pics of nothing, and are always showing.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
maipenrai said:
I wish I could find something, that I cant show. It is kinda hard when you know you have something, and cant show, and others have pics of nothing, and are always showing.
You really are better off if you keep things to your self and off the internet.........

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think some of it could be true and also situational. If I were on private property with permission and I found a cache of coins worth say, 5000.00 - $10'000 I might post it, share the moment/story with fellow hunters, I mean, why not....what's the harm? Uncle Sam isn't going to come knocking at my door, and if he does.....I can live with that. But, if I were on the treasure coast and I found a valuable piece of old jewelry or an specific old coin that could possibly be a tell-tell to the location of the other great finds........I'd never post it or even mention it. Same could be said of a few other type of finds as well. In one respect I think there's far too much paranoia on forums like this, and in another respect a times there's also probably a bit too much pride and ego at times. But I think that's true of just about any place where thousands of people are brought together to be vocal in one place. Very easy to get too caught up in it all. :dontknow:

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
bigscoop said:
I think some of it could be true and also situational. If I were on private property with permission and I found a cache of coins worth say, 5000.00 - $10'000 I might post it, share the moment/story with fellow hunters, I mean, why not....what's the harm? Uncle Sam isn't going to come knocking at my door, and if he does.....I can live with that. But, if I were on the treasure coast and I found a valuable piece of old jewelry or an specific old coin that could possibly be a tell-tell to the location of the other great finds........I'd never post it or even mention it. Same could be said of a few other type of finds as well. In one respect I think there's far too much paranoia on forums like this, and in another respect a times there's also probably a bit too much pride and ego at times. But I think that's true of just about any place where thousands of people are brought together to be vocal in one place. Very easy to get too caught up in it all. :dontknow:
???? Why do you want to share the moment ???? " EGO " ego " ego " The need to share the need to feel "important "..................Then there are some people i have met and and have known for a very short time ......... And more than likely never see again ..... And i know there life story....... And i don't want to know everything about them....... And i don't believe that a lot of finds posted here are finds that they found..................

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
bigscoop said:
???? Why do you want to share the moment ???? " EGO " ego " ego " The need to share the need to feel "important "..................Then there are some people i have met and and have known for a very short time ......... And more than likely never see again ..... And i know there life story....... And i don't want to know everything about them....... And i don't believe that a lot of finds posted here are finds that they found..................

I suppose it could be ego for some, but honestly, for me it would simply be a matter of meeting other T-hunting folks, maybe hear some of their stories, meet a few new friends, and from them maybe keep learning and widening my horizons along the way. etc. This is a social T-hunting community, that's what this site is all about, and if someone doesn’t want to be social in this venue then why are they here? I have no doubt some great finds have been made and that some of the stories are indeed true for the most part, and if I guy doesn't want to say "too much" or show "too much" that's fine and completely understood. Treasure hunting is a very broad subject and what a guy may not know in one area of the hobby he might actually be extremely knowledgeable in another.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
J. Frank Dobie told Steve Wilson that the real gold lies in 'writing' about treasure. George Wilson, Steve's brother told me that back in the 80's. He had a point.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
RGINN said:
J. Frank Dobie told Steve Wilson that the real gold lies in 'writing' about treasure. George Wilson, Steve's brother told me that back in the 80's. He had a point.
Well i don't think a lot would say that... or they would be writing and not hunting................ Could be Dobie & Wilson make there money by writing not hunting.......... A lot of people say wise things that are not so wise in real life......

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
bigscoop said:
Keppy said:
bigscoop said:

I suppose it could be ego for some, but honestly, for me it would simply be a matter of meeting other T-hunting folks, maybe hear some of their stories, meet a few new friends, and from them maybe keep learning and widening my horizons along the way. etc. This is a social T-hunting community, that's what this site is all about, and if someone doesn’t want to be social in this venue then why are they here? I have no doubt some great finds have been made and that some of the stories are indeed true for the most part, and if I guy doesn't want to say "too much" or show "too much" that's fine and completely understood. Treasure hunting is a very broad subject and what a guy may not know in one area of the hobby he might actually be extremely knowledgeable in another.
I am sorry but it is my belief some things should be kept to one's self....

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
bigscoop said:
Keppy said:
bigscoop said:

I am sorry but it is my belief some things should be kept to one's self....

Fair enough. :thumbsup:

stonewallsmen

Feb 18, 2011
Fort Bragg
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This brings up something I have slightly wondered about. I am still really new to this hobby. I have met tons of people that are extremely friendly, and very helpful. These people always seem to offer up advice, which is greatly appreciated, but refuse to take you out, or invite on hunts. By no means am I wanting to go and take over hunting on someone else sites, but it would be nice to get out and hunt with other people, instead of by myself. Any thoughts?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread