If you use a rock tumbler to clean coins...

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't do what I just did!

I have a 1 quart tumbler that I use to clean all my clad coins and wheat cents.
I usually fill the tumbler about 3/4 full of coins (dirt and all), then fill with water. Usually 6 hours in the tumbler will clean them well enough to be able to take to the bank. (Clads only).
I forgot to turn off the tumbler, so it ran for about 24 hours.
The following is what used to be a wheat cent:

Attachments

• Cleaned cents 002.jpg
    Cleaned cents 002.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 2,350
  • Cleaned cents 003.jpg
    Cleaned cents 003.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,369

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh! Too much rocker.

Been there and done it.

I once ruined some ancient coins this way.

Rock tumblers are awsome cleaning tools but they must be used in moderation.

Most of my valuable coins I sell on ebay spend some time in a rock tumbler (not with sand).

Better buy one of those timers.

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
Oh! Too much rocker.

Been there and done it.

I once ruined some ancient coins this way.

Rock tumblers are awsome cleaning tools but they must be used in moderation.

Most of my valuable coins I sell on ebay spend some time in a rock tumbler (not with sand).

Better buy one of those timers.
:-\ Hi Minelab "Badger". :) I have not been to this forum in a long while.The last time I talked to you.I asked permision to use the image of a token(D. W) you found.
I was reading a post of yours,about how you clean some valuable coins you sell on ebay......In a rock Tumbler....I wanted to ask 'What you use as a Medium'and what procedures you use?I am mainly interested in cleaning clad and mems ,and some wheats.I have used the fine ,and medium grid sands that come with a tumbler kit,but what a bloody mess.So time consuming for clad and Mems that you have to rinse these mediums off....And with a tumbler 1/2 full of mems .It just does not seem much worth my Time.I seen in the post that another guy uses just water,but that does not seem to be enough to clean his worn out wheaty....It still looks quite dirty....shiny and worn to the base,but still dirty.I want to ask what liquids you use ,and how long to leave in the tumbler?Like I said though.....I probably will only do clads and mems for a while "at first".
I also wanted to ask another question. In reading some Treasurenet Posts.I move on to the
Coin Preservation Techs.,and other subjects.I read alot of Conservators ,and Your Posts. I remember you telling me Months ago about soaking coins in Distilled Water...Now I read you are on to a "Mineral Water"Technique.
What is that all about?Where can you buy it? What procedures do you use ,and do you still conserve your finds with that Renaissance Wax ,like you used to?
Sorry ,So Many Q & so little A.....McNickle

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I use it too, but just on the ocen money to take to the bank. Thanks for the picture

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread