If you were going to get an Explorer SE, would you....

D

damz68

1) Purchase it from Kellyco?

2) Would you purchase an extra coil?

3) If yes on 2, what coil would you get?

Answer as if you were a coin hunter. I think I will be making this purchase any day now. Kellyco sells the excellerator searchcoils, are they any good? They also have a lot of freebies, are they good about getting you all they say they will?

Thanks for any help.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i ordered one this morning! i just couldnt find another dealer that could offer the same deal. i would have liked to have bought it locally, but the local dealers couldnt come close to kellycos offer. i did not order any extra coils. i figure i will have my hands full for a while learning how to understand it. after that i might look into a smaller coil.

OP
OP
D

damz68

That's cool! I heard it was heavy so I intend on geting that bungee strap deal but I could not find it at Kellyco's site. Can you tell me what made you choose the Explorer SE? It seems like whenever I hear talk of the best it is the first mentioned, that is why I am getting it. I hope it is the best!

Well congrats and good luck!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
comes with the stock 10.5
i beleive id get the 15/18 depending
and then the 8 or 5.5 :-\

OP
OP
D

damz68

Being that I hit the junky areas frequantly would that 5.5" ecellerator be the best option? I hear the 15/18 go very deep but they stink in trashy areas, is that true?

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
damz68 said:
That's cool! I heard it was heavy so I intend on geting that bungee strap deal but I could not find it at Kellyco's site. Can you tell me what made you choose the Explorer SE? It seems like whenever I hear talk of the best it is the first mentioned, that is why I am getting it. I hope it is the best!

Well congrats and good luck!

word of mouth mainly. sooo many people who own the explorers really love them. also in all of the side by side comparisons, the explorers always seem to be at the top of the heap. i was going to get one about a year and a half ago, but i was seduced away from it by Garrett's awesome price on the GTI 2500 package. it came with a 12.5" coil and all kinds of extra stuff for around $800 at the time. i like the GTI 2500. the size feature is really usefull, but i do think that Garrett traded some depth for the discrim capabilities of the GTI 2500. i have heard so many good things about the minelab machine, i just had to give one a try.

damz68 said:
Being that I hit the junky areas frequently would that 5.5" ecellerator be the best option? I hear the 15/18 go very deep but they stink in trashy areas, is that true?

i have a 4" coil for the 2500, and it is super usefull in trashy areas. it really gets between the garbage. i use it a lot more than the 12.5 inch coil i also have. i just don't hunt in many low junk areas like cornfields, so i dont find it to be an advantage for me. if i hunted relics more, i might change my mind about that. :)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the 15 and 18 would only be for large farm fields etc
i use a DD 11.5 coil on my troy and can hit decent cigarette pack sized sized targets at 15 inch's easy
in not so trashy areas

Junk Monkey

Greenie
Dec 10, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, Whites DFX and Fisher F75.
I have been dealing with Kellyco for many years and they have always been fair, however their claim for the lowest prices just isn't true. I have bought probably six detectors in the last 10 years, and Clevenger always had the best price if you are looking for a detector ONLY. If you want the "free" accessories that Kellyco offers, then the total price at Kellyco, compared with the price for the same "package" at Clevengers is lower. Avoid the hype about the accessories and just go for the detector alone and you will be surprised as to how much the so called "free" accessories actually cost. Most of the accessories offered at Kellyco can be picked up on ebay or other detector companies for truly bargain prices. Just shop around.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy from Kellyco also even though some of the "free" stuff is junk. I have found that some times they will swap junk for other junk more desirable. I even asked them to keep their extra free stuff and just deduct it from the price of the detector but no dice. ;) Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread