If Youve Ever Found A Half Filled Treasure Pouch....

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If You've Ever Found A Half Filled Treasure Pouch....

If you hunt the beaches of Galveston, TX and came across a black webbed pouch containing coins and a sterling bracelet, here's how it got there...This would've been quite a few years ago.

Late one night I was hunting the surf in Galveston while the tide was out. I had found the usual handful of clad and scored a sterling silver charm bracelet. The surf was rough and the waves were beating me to death. At some point between targets a breaker must have unlatched my pouch and relieved me of my treasures. After the next target I reached for my pouch and it was gone. I was wearing a shorty wetsuit and never felt it come loose. I turned on my headlamp and looked for it about 20 minutes before giving up. I was fuming when I stormed out of the surf just to realize I had also lost my coil cover on the Surfmaster. At this point I'm about to blow a head gasket. What kinda treasure hunter loses his coil cover AND his pouch WITH treasure in it?? I mean, come on, I might as well have thrown my long handle scoop out into the gulf and called it quits!

The next day I stopped by a little shop in Texas City and picked up a new pouch, which I'm still using to this day. I went back out that evening lacking the faith that this trip was going to get any better. Somewhat humiliated, I waded back out into the surf and ended up digging the 14k diamond wedding band pictured below....aaaahh sweet redemption.

14k Diamond Ring.jpg

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice..... have you thought of a safety latch on your pouch? I use a large carter pin to latch up the extra web belt so it doesnt hang, it also acts as a safety catch, if I unhood my pouch latch it will still not come off till I removed the large carter pin...

Just a thought for you..............

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep a couple of big lead fishing weights in my pouch now......found out the hard way that the surf is actually strong enough to flip it up side down. :laughing7:

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep a couple of big lead fishing weights in my pouch now......found out the hard way that the surf is actually strong enough to flip it up side down. :laughing7:

This is another good tip! I've noticed this happening to me occasionally.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great design on the ring, Congratulations. Enjoyed the story

Sand Gnat

Jul 25, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett A/T Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Stealth Classic
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very nice ring! Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions