Iffy signal turns into a sweet coin spill!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out detecting this afternoon at what has become my favorite park for the past 2 weeks. After about 3 hours I was mumbling some bad words, as all I had found were 5 wheats, and they were all found about 30min between each other.

But just before leaving, I thought I would try out one more little area that looked promising in hopes that it hadn't been pushed around / filled in over the years.

At about 5" deep I get a really jumpy signal that was bouncing between penny/dime and iron. I didn't have really high hopes for it as I had already dug a handful of these signals already only to find falsing bent square nails in the holes.

Then out popped big silver! As I'm looking at that, I see another piece of silver in my pile of dirt. Then after that excitement, I rechecked the hole to find a barber dime as well! An 85 cent pocket spill! Tough to beat that! About 20 feet away I pulled out the mercury dime as well.

Finds:
9 Wheats
1920 Walking Liberty Half Dollar - Appears to have a lot of detail
1908-O Barber Quarter
1904 Barber Dime
1941-D Mercury Dime
Gold plated locket or small pocket watch? front is rusted

03-13-09.JPG

03-13-092.JPG

03-13-093.JPG

Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds, love that silver.....Matt

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coins and finds, that is what the hobby is all about!

taropatch

Dec 24, 2007
Nice finds. Treat that Walker with care. It looks like a VF+. If its a (D)enver then it is extra special. But whatever the mint, that's a good coin.

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
wow awesome hunt! do you know who made the pocket watch you can take the back off and date it by serial numbers. willy.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
very nice job on the large pocket spill and the big silver!!!! I'm glad your posting on Tnet again! :)

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a thrill! You were really rewarded for digging that iffy signal. I think that we fellow detectorists need this reinforcement as we continue to dig the iffy signals. Who knows, the next one could be the big one. Last year I stumbled upon a 3-coin Barber coin spill, and it is my favorite find to date. One of those Barber quarters is on my avatar. Congratulations on your successful hunt, and thanks for posting.

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
I would say that was one heck of a coin spill. Congrats on the super condition WLH! :thumbsup:

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Nice spill, you never know, good thing you didn't keep walking. So far all my coin spills were clad. Good job !

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Truly exceptional! That walker is beautiful, and a nice old date as well. You must have been so thrilled to find that silver coin spill.

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for all of the great comments guys and gals! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread